Pressure gauge line restrictor

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
Many of you have read my Drive home misadventure thread in 5.0 Talk. Here's a drawing of the little widget that kept all the oil from being pumped out when the oil pressure hose for the gauge spung a leak.

attachment.php

You may have to enlarge the orfice hole size slightly to improve the responce to rapid pressure changes. Try a #55 drill if the gauge responce is too slow.

Attachments

• Pressure gauge flow restrictor.gif
    Pressure gauge flow restrictor.gif
    34.7 KB · Views: 17,396
  • Sponsors (?)

The improvements to the drawing are due to Microsoft Visio that I got from work. It does all kinds of drawing things with prefab templates and stencils. You just drag, drop and resize for a lot of items like electrical components and nuts & bolts.

I personally prefer using stainless steel set screws. The stainless is soft, so it drill easily, plus you have an opeing for an hex key. Just use the locktite, screw into place and let dry. No cutting required.

So let me get this straight (I think I'm wrong):

This line restrictor is a machine screw that gets inserted into a hole drilled into the pressure fitting. So by this, I assume that the screw goes into the fitting to take up some of the space, which limits the flow. If this is correct, wouldn't that increase pressure?

Like I said, I think I'm understanding incorrectly. I know you know what you're talking about; please elaborate for me, if you don't mind. Sometimes (perhaps often times), I'm easily confused:D

once the line is completly full, you will get normal pressure. Actually it should be more acurate and your gauges should last longer. I work with ultra high pressure water pumps(40,000psi to 130,000) and we use this same principle on every gauge or tranducer, its also called a "snubber".