Price of 1991 Foxbody

Blueinfan

Mar 18, 2021
Temecula
okay, Here's my BIG question - I was looking for a 2012 Boss302 but purchased a 1991 Ford Mustang Convertible LX 5.0 with 91k miles. I purchased it to learn and figured it would be fun to restore it. All original, no rust. I have spent about 5k on it already and most of this was cosmetic stuff! There is another 7k that needs to be spent on it which will be a new paint job (4k), new carpet (200), sets, door panel (600), and convertible top (300). Plus rims and tires 2,000. So over all I would have spent about 15k on the car, Most of the parts have been purchased from Junk yards, LMR, American Muscle, CJpony.

How much do you guys think the car will be worth? I know I won't get what I spent on it. I've added a picture of the car.

This is an example of some of the stuff I have purchased for the car - We all know that some parts are not cheap and are becoming harder and harder to find.

LRS-9345A87-93 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE TOP
LRS-53480KE3ZZ-7653480 83-93 MUSTANG
LRS-50600A83-93 MUSTANG HYDRAULIC CYLIND
LRS-53300K83-93 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE TOP
LRS-53300A83-93 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE TOP
LRS-53390A83-93 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE HOSE
RP-12320ROYAL PURPLE MAX ATF AUTO TRAN
LRS-19542A80-04 MUSTANG POWER TRUNK AND
ACC-9093QT-BLK90-93 MUSTANG ACC QUARTER TRIM
LRS-60230HDWB1990-93 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE SE
N803749S32-6FOZZ-7660230-F METAL RETAINING
LRS-24150AE7ZZ-6124150 1987-93 MUSTA
LRS-2733K79-93 MUSTANG 5.0L REPLACEMENT
LRS-23704AB87-93 MUSTANG DOOR PANEL SOUND
LRS-23704AA87-93 MUSTANG DOOR PANEL MOIST

Attachments

• my Project.jpg
    my Project.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Sponsors (?)

How many miles are on it?

Restored condition for a convertible is hard to judge. It's going to vary by region as a convertible in CA or Florida will have more buyers than one from Maine, or Montana.

As a results, convertibles tend to not pull the prices that the hardtops can. If the car is an AOD, that's even worse as AOD cars seem to be the red-headed step child of the foxbody clan.

An LX AOD convertible might get $7-9K or so.

Restored condition for a convertible is hard to judge. It's going to vary by region as a convertible in CA or Florida will have more buyers than one from Maine, or Montana.

As a results, convertibles tend to not pull the prices that the hardtops can. If the car is an AOD, that's even worse as AOD cars seem to be the red-headed step child of the foxbody clan.

I did some digging after I see your post. You are right! Well I guess I will be keeping it, cruising in it and leaving it for my kids! There is no way I will sell it for 9k after I spent about 12k. I know some people even spend more on a project.

A friend down here bought a 92 convertible that was bone stock, down to the exhaust, radio, air box, and distributor cover. The car had 41,000 miles on it and was a lx/5.0/automatic. It was about a 9/10 and he paid $12,000 for the car.

Convertibles just don’t sell for what you’ll usually have into them, if it was a coupe or hatch that would probably be a different story.

I did some digging after I see your post. You are right! Well I guess I will be keeping it, cruising in it and leaving it for my kids! There is no way I will sell it for 9k after I spent about 12k. I know some people even spend more on a project.
Welcome to the real world. Anybody here that builds/modifies/restores just about any car knows that your single dollar invested is equivalent to .50,....maybe .60 and that’s if you do nice work and choose your mods/improvements wisely.

Have to pay anybody to do anything, and it’s even less.

A nicely restored to factory original will usually bring the highest return on your dollar, but even at that, you could spend 20k in a minute to have a car that’s wire 10-12k when all the dust settles. if you’re thinking that you’re gonna get anywhere near what you put in it, sell it now, and buy a house..because THAT is the only place you can put a dollar in and get more than a dollar out.

All is true, but we are talking future value. In five years { that go by quick } prices will be much higher. Ten years from now we should expect almost twenty grand for a prime car. I base this on sport model cars for sale now that are forty years old. Just remember to do most of your work, so you know your car.

Yeah KBB isn’t really reliable these days. Even Haggerty classic valuation is off as they go by MSRP and base current values on that. They value a GT vert the highest and a 5-spd coupe the lowest simply because it’s how the MSRP was tiered when new. Other than few exceptions, it doesn’t follow the market.

The car has 91,000 miles