Pro driving courses, anyone try them?

Madguitarist78

Mar 12, 2010
Hey guys, I didn't exactly know where to put this so sorry in advance.:)

I just got a 2010 GT and I would like to really know how to use it. I mean, I would like to be able to push the car a little every once in a while without getting hurt.

I had a neighbor that had a '02 Viper and killed himself powersliding... Not cool.:(

Has anyone tried a course and have any feed back?

Thanks,

Read

• Sponsors (?)

HPDE (High Performance Driving Events) are a great way to learn car control. They offer a diversified and comprehensive curriculum for all level of drivers looking to start from the ground up to just polishing their skill with some track time. Many car clubs such as the SCCA and NASA as well as some more brand specific like BMW-CCA or Porsche Club of America can also offer some training courses to non brand owners. That said they can be pricey. Alternatively you could also seek out local autocross events which offer an excellent starting point for learning car control. Some criticize these events as being too tame but they actually are quite important. Learning to feel how the car reacts at slow(er) speeds should be the springboard to high speed driving. You can't learn anything if you don't know how to listen to what the car is telling you below 60 mph. Plus it's not true that Auto-X isn't very exciting.... the corners come at you at 4 times the frequency then at a racetrack so you really gotta be on your toes and learn to plan ahead all while keeping in touch with your car.

It really is all up to your budget. You can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want. When I get a chance to I participate in local BMW-CCA run Auto-X events because they are only about 35 bucks for an entry. That gives you 6-8 good laps which can be done with an instructor (which I highly recommend). It's how much money you're willing to invest in your skill that makes all the matter. If you value something a lot you may want to put a lot in it it all depends on what you can and want to do.

Hope it helps.

One more thing... try out some racing simulators. A good computer with a steering wheel setup and a REALISTIC simulators (like rFactor or GTR - NOT Need for Speed Underground) can provide hours of training without running the risks of damaging your car or getting hurt.

It won't be as involved as doing your own thing with your car but at least you can develop certain reflexes and behaviors that will transfer to high performance or emergency situations.

Definitely do SCCA Auto Cross events. I did that for two years and it was really useful in learning about how the car handled and what you could really make her do. And it's cheaper than driving classes.