Progress Thread My centrifugal ppl, how’s this deal?

OK , then sand and respray.
If it was clear coat you could wet sand them flat then polish.
Alright man, so I sanded back on those run areas only and then did 3 light resprays but I didn’t add any more of the plastic adhesion promoter. It’s definitely not as smooth as a finish as the first go, seems blotchy or orange peelish. Think I’m just gonna sand them all back down again and start from the beginning. Maybe that’s what I should have done idk.
860BA1D0-7F1B-439B-B468-661D77502937.jpeg
FE7E705D-C2BC-44CC-BCB5-6F0056A539E0.jpeg
2A65F9E9-31C1-4840-890E-704C73A12C1B.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

What grit are you sanding with ?
At this point you could prep clean and scuff with red scotchbrite then respray, try to lay even medium wet coats.

This would have been my process :
Mask off.
Clean area to be painted with prep cleaner.
Scuff area with red scotchbrite.
Prep clean again.
If spots needed to be filled use a high build primer or filler (this step may not be necessary).
If happy with surface spray 2-3 medium coats of trim paint .
Hope it helps.

What grit are you sanding with ?
At this point you could prep clean and scuff with red scotchbrite then respray, try to lay even medium wet coats.

This would have been my process :
Mask off.
Clean area to be painted with prep cleaner.
Scuff area with red scotchbrite.
Prep clean again.
If spots needed to be filled use a high build primer or filler (this step may not be necessary).
If happy with surface spray 2-3 medium coats of trim paint .
Hope it helps.
I used some old sanding blocks think it was maybe a 120 then a 220. Wiped it down and then re sprayed it. Did that the first go around, then wiped it all down with alcohol, dried it off, sprayed the adhesion stuff, let sit for 15-20 minutes then laid down the coats and it just had that smooth glossy look compared to this last round. Appreciate your tips, gonna give another go here in a little bit and see how it turns out.

120 and 220 are both too coarse for a final sand before paint, you'll most likely see those sanding marks through the top coat.
Normally somewhere between 400-600 is good before applying base coat, on plastics I like using a red scotchbrite pad to scuff
before paint.
Good luck , I'm sure you'll get them looking good.

120 and 220 are both too coarse for a final sand before paint, you'll most likely see those sanding marks through the top coat.
Normally somewhere between 400-600 is good before applying base coat, on plastics I like using a red scotchbrite pad to scuff
before paint.
Good luck , I'm sure you'll get them looking good.
Well gave it another go and just finished up, came out better. Now this SEM can says fully hardened in 48hrs. When would one spray that 2k clear coat on it? You were right about the scratches, I ended up using some 400 and getting it as smooth as possible again
567DB037-250B-450A-8C9C-8FE69FDE8349.jpeg
7B3F93A1-A3B8-4943-8224-098745517D8B.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Looks good, nice and slick !

SEM trim paint is actually meant to be a single stage paint , meaning no clear required.
I imagine you could clear it for extra gloss and protection but being that the SEM paint is single stage and the clear is
a 2k ( 2 part ) I would do a test piece. Worst case scenario the 2k clear lifts the trim paint , that would suck.

I think once you activate that clear coat you have a limited time to use it up , check the can for info.

Sprayed them, held off on the clear coat bc I don’t know when is when on wet sanding with 2000 grit etc. they came out pretty nice, glossy already. I’m kinda digging them with the grey pinstripe, and the pinstripe I bought is to big. I got 1/4 and they are 1/8, so need to go buy it. Might slap them on the car and see if I like if not I’ll move on to the black stripes.
BBA9CAD0-F47D-4BC1-AD01-C5B418D2DCF1.jpeg
DA2A5EA5-046D-4819-991E-4D6D2844BB39.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Got the old junk out the best I could, it was a gooey pain to get out. Laid in some new butyl, hopefully I out in the right amount. I watched the lmr vid and laid down a a strip of butyl but compared to what I pulled out of their the factory seemed like it was a lot more idk. Anyways new clips etc in abs lights on!! I like the way they look. I love the LX light as well and always thought I will get another set to swap here and there, but I’m guessing with the butyl and clips the lights aren’t meant to be swapped out on a regular basis lol. How much butyl should one have laid in there? The kit came with a strip of it for both lights and the clips. I had some extra but not enough to have gone around both housings twice.
D42CBA6B-C3EE-42DA-BC68-608BAB439CFF.jpeg
84A82844-A85A-47A8-8F1F-D96ED5FD1BD8.jpeg
DBB3E8CA-4A11-4B44-9A85-E44EDC9DE311.jpeg

• Love
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 11 users
Those came out sweet Devil. Ive thought about doing that to my lights in the past. I work in a body shop and have access to all those materials. Just havent pulled the trigger yet. Thats a bad ass ride man.

Reactions: 1 user