problem spinning tires

trevnut

Dec 21, 2003
Mustang,OK
well i had 225 55 16 tires on my car and could powerbrake the car and spin both tires easily. its a aod just to let yall know. well i got new wheels and tires on the car with 275 40 17 on the rear and i powerbraked it earlier today and only the passenger side spun. is it just because of the wider tire or am i really down on power or is the traction loc going bad?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

bigger tires, with new tread = better traction.. so its harder to spin them.
its very possible that you burned out your traclock doing brakestands. and killed it off with the new tires trying it.

there are ways to test your traclock. jack your rear end up. have somebody hold one tire still and dont let it turn. now, you try and turn the other wheel. if you can spin your side, your tracklock is burned out.

the rebuild kits are cheap. its just taking apart your rear end. and the labor that is the pain in the ass..

btw, brakestands.....:nono::nono::nono:

trevnut said:
well i just did it once real quick and only spun one tire. could that fry the trac loc?

It didn't help. The idea behind a limited slip differential, is that when you corner, the clutches in the posi slip, allowing you to corner without the outer tire dragging/hopping/chirping, but hold together on hard acceleration. With time, miles, and abuse these clutches wear out rendering the posi useless. Have it rebuilt, and stop doing powerstands :p