problem starting(electrical)...

chaos254

Founding Member
Jul 27, 2002
NJ
Yesterday I was running some errands around town and the two times I stopped, my car wouldn't start. It would just click(no turning over) then eventually if I waited it would start up. This has happened to me in the past and I thought I had the problem fixed, put new connectors on the battery wires but I guess that was just a temporary fix. It hasn't happened for awhile until now. I was thinking about putting in new wires for the battery(ground and positive), maybe there is a short somewhere? Any suggestions would be great... I really have no clue what it could be since I've already replaced the obvious, new alternator, battery, starter, msd coil, wires and plugs. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

In my experience, it can be a resistive Starter interlock circuit pathway. When it's hot is when it acts up. Sometimes even trying to start it several times right in a row will break through the resistance enough to energize the coil in the starter solenoid.

Is there an aftermarket alarm system with a starter kill? This can be a source for resistance. Has there been any work done on or around the ignition switch itself lately?

Good luck.

I've had two bonehead experieinces with ny car when it didn't wanna start
1, the nut off the stud on the starter...gone, bought a new starter then found it...took the nut off the new one then returned the starter
2. just the other day found the ground wire for the ccrm loose, right by the negative batt terminal, that caused all kins of trouble, just simply tightnening the sheet metal screw that ground the wire to the frame cured all...

just some things to look at
good luck