Problem with MSD Distributor

WhiteDevil

Feb 4, 2003
San Diego
Well i got an MSD pro billet for christmas and i put it in the car about 3 weeks ago. It runs great when its all warmed up but for some reason when the car is cold like after sitting over night it will lose power and pop like the timing is all off or something. When it gets to about 110-120 degrees it goes away and the car runs great. Whats the deal. The timing is right at 10 degrees car was running wonderful before. Anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

The first place I would look is in the cap and rotor assembly (misalignment or quality of craftsmanship or even carbon build up). I would also take a look at the alignment of the Magnetic Pick-up Module in the distributor and make sure the wiring harness is fully connected and doesn't have any moisture in the connector.

Second is the TFI module installation...did you use dialectric compound on the backing plate? Is the module in the magnetic pick-up connectors all the way? Moisture a problem?

The stock TFI modules are troublesome and aren't much good for beyond 4500 RPM power (and spark reliability) anyway (nor are the particularly reliable in hot conditions or drastically changing temperature conditions) you would do better to pick up a Dyna-Mod module from www.performancedistributors.com

Also, stock coils tend to have similar issues and aren't much good beyond 4500 RPM either. You might consider swapping to a Screamin' Demon coil from the same place or even a Crane PS-91 coil (which is about $20-$30 cheaper).

You might also consider looking at your wires...are they worn? Cracked? Are they arcing? Did you make sure they got onto the plugs? I know the Driver side rear is a serious pain in the butt to get on correctly. Did you change wires? Use Bosch platinum plugs (they tend to arc and run poorly in the 5.0 applications). Did you change any tune-up parts at all? Are those parts in need of replacement?

Also, did you accidentally leave the spout connector out, knock off or forget to reconnect any other connection?

Hope that helps.

Ryan

WhiteDevil said:
Well i got an MSD pro billet for christmas and i put it in the car about 3 weeks ago. It runs great when its all warmed up but for some reason when the car is cold like after sitting over night it will lose power and pop like the timing is all off or something. When it gets to about 110-120 degrees it goes away and the car runs great. Whats the deal. The timing is right at 10 degrees car was running wonderful before. Anyone?

I have the whole Screamin Deamon kit so its all new too and i did use the Di Electric grease on the stuff. You know what i wonder i noticed that some of the boots had a tought time clicking on the MSD Cap ill check those.

That sounds like the most reasonable place to start.

Ryan

WhiteDevil said:
I have the whole Screamin Deamon kit so its all new too and i did use the Di Electric grease on the stuff. You know what i wonder i noticed that some of the boots had a tought time clicking on the MSD Cap ill check those.

hrspwrjunkie said:
Second is the TFI module installation...did you use dialectric compound on the backing plate? Is the module in the magnetic pick-up connectors all the way? Moisture a problem?

The stock TFI modules are troublesome and aren't much good for beyond 4500 RPM power (and spark reliability) anyway (nor are the particularly reliable in hot conditions or drastically changing temperature conditions)
I know what you mean about the old TFI module setup (mounted under the distributer), but the '94+ 5.0s have the TFI module mounted on a heat sink on the passenger side inner fender under the airbox.

My '95 Bronco even has the "remote TFI" location, where my '91 had it under the distributer.

By mounting the modules in a remote location, the Ford engineers helped the poor module design out by removing it from a direct source of heat, but the modules can still have difficulties on hot days or with extended hard use.

Ryan

illwood said:
I know what you mean about the old TFI module setup (mounted under the distributer), but the '94+ 5.0s have the TFI module mounted on a heat sink on the passenger side inner fender under the airbox.

My '95 Bronco even has the "remote TFI" location, where my '91 had it under the distributer.

did you change the gear on the msd before you put it in?i just dropped my car off yesterday to get it tuned.i popped the hood so the guy could look at what i got and the first thing he asked me was how long the msd had been on the car and if i changed the gear before i dropped it in.he said he put one in his car,with his crane cam,and it chewed the gear up on the msd cuz the gear on the cam is billit,so are the gears on the stock cams,and the gear on the msd is iron.even if you order it for your year car,even if you still have the stock cam like me,you have to change the gear before you put it in.which i think is bulls**t,you already paid big money for it now you have to spend more for a different gear just to be able to use it.what a joke.even if you get it from summit it says to just drop it in,it says nothing about changing the gear at all,i went on there site last night to check and it didnt say anything about doing this.

94opalgt

Thanks for the info on the distributor gear. I installed a new MSD about a month ago that I just dropped in from the box. (Pro-Billet Ford 5.0L Distributor 1994 - 1995 PN 8455) I am hearing some strange noise lately in the engine. I will pull my distributor out and check the gear for wear. Also, where can I get the proper replacement gear?

Thanks,
dcs7941

Well on the MSD box it says it is a drop in replacement. It also has a tag tied to the distributor gear saying that it is the correct gear for a hydrolic roller cam motor.

Edit: But i guess ill find out for sure on friday after work im gonna swap the stocker back in and see if it still does this, i can inspect for wear then.

The gear on the MSD 5.0L specific distributors come from the factory with steel gears (instead of cast iron) for hydraulic roller cams. If there is a problem, it will more than likely be coming from something else. (Unless the distributor was assembled with the wrong gear at the factory or was modified after the fact).

Ryan

dcs7941 said:
94opalgt

Thanks for the info on the distributor gear. I installed a new MSD about a month ago that I just dropped in from the box. (Pro-Billet Ford 5.0L Distributor 1994 - 1995 PN 8455) I am hearing some strange noise lately in the engine. I will pull my distributor out and check the gear for wear. Also, where can I get the proper replacement gear?

Thanks,
dcs7941

dcs7941,thats the same one i got.the workin on my car right now is going to let me know about the gear,so when he does i'll let you know.and hey whitedevil,the cold timing thing is part of my problem also freakin thing dont want to idle at all,i got to keep reving the car till it will after that it idles and runs ok,along with a noise that wasnt there with the stock distributor in it.so when i find out about the the gear and stuff i'll post up on here.i know that summit carries the gears,i dont know anout a regular auto parts store or not.

94opalgt,

I could still hear the noise from the engine bay this morning but after researching the 8455 distributor, I found that it does come with the steel gear for the roller cam. MSD has this info on their website.

GEAR INFORMATION
The Pro-Billet PN 8451, PN 8452, PN 8455 and PN 8456 Distributors are designed as a direct replacement for Ford EFI High Output engines and are equipped with a steel gear for the hydraulic roller camshaft.

well thats good news,at least we dont have to worry about that and i guess i know what my guys answer is going to be when i call him today.this a big relief for me.thanks for letting me know.what does your noise sound like?mine is kinda like a low tumbling(for lack of a better word)noise.but i let a friend of mine listen to it and he said i was hearing things cuz everything sounded fine to him.

94opalgt

It is a whinning noise that is comparable to the noise an aftermarket shifter makes. The tone does change with speed. I even hear it when I'm in neutral and rev the engine. I will continue to search for the culprit.

Thanks,
dcs7941

This sounds like radio interference, try some insulated plug wires; if you have copper wires this has a lot to do with it.. Also with the MSD piece mine has been in for about a year now with no problems, and my dist. gear is still perfect. Turn off your radio and if you have an aftermarket amp disconnect it and then try it again. :nice:

dcs7941 said:
94opalgt

It is a whinning noise that is comparable to the noise an aftermarket shifter makes. The tone does change with speed. I even hear it when I'm in neutral and rev the engine. I will continue to search for the culprit.

Thanks,
dcs7941