Problem with my Heat?!

quiksilver9531

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2001
New Jersey
I'm having a problem with my heat, It takes forever to start blowing at least warm air, it doesnt get hot, it gets warm and thats it, my temp guage doesn't go above one line from the bottom and when I'm driving for a while with the heat on it will go back down to the bottom....I did my heatercore over the summer, I have a flex fan and a 180 t stat, when I had the stock one in 192 or soemthing the temp guage went like 3 lines up and the heat was a bit warmer...but I remember before my heater core went my heat got real hot, and now it sucks especially in these cold mornings...any ideas? I just ordered an autometer water temp gauge from summit..so then i'll see if the stock one just sucks or what...but anyway whats the deal, why wouldnt my heat get hot? I'm stumped..Thanks :D

• Sponsors (?)

mines the same way. I changed the heater core and nw it isnt as hot. it never got HOT but now its barely warm.

possible heat escaping from holes in the heater tube behind the dash... the same thing happened to me even after doing the whole heater core/hoses/ tstat and i was like "wtf?" turns out the heater tubes had cracks and holes in them, from the first owner drilling holes through the dash like a madman running gauge wires, sealed the holes and cracks... hot, strong, heat! :nice:

coolant doesnt travel through that tube... only the air that passes through the heater core. the only time coolant gets into those tubes is when the heater core goes, which u will notice coolant on ur floor b4 it gets into them.

Is your damper door opening all the way??My cable got bent and the hot\cold damper door up in the vent ducts would open to heat.It should open for heater core and close for ac side??Or something like that.What tempt thermostat you got???160 may keep on the cool side Good luk!!!!

quiksilver9531 said:
how hard is to get to those..can i check wiht out taking the dash off
the dash def has to come off... its not that hard, just alot of torx bolts, drop the steering shaft, unclip wires/label, and ur good to go. as far as the "damper door" goes, he brings up another possibilty, there are a bunch of little vaccum tubes, make sure they are all connected too! good luck, feel free to pm if u have ne questions or post. btw where in jersey are u? :nice:

yea my radiator is full...but jb66 you bring up an interesting point its possible that i might have mixed them but would that really have an effect on the heat?

and no one answered my question about my temp guage?..why is it being retarded...it never goes past one line anymore, and the longer I drive with the heat on it moves down to the bottom....and before i put the 180 T stat in it went up a little higher...I have an auto meter water temp guage in the mail so I'll see if my temp gauge sucks...thanks for the help so far :D its getting cold and I dont feel like waiting till i actually arrive at the place im going to start getting heat it kinda sucks..lol

I've had several "new" stats that were worse than the old one. Sounds like it's not heating up (stuck partially open?). I'd replace it with another new one (make sure the bleed hole is up (if so equipped). And make sure it doesn't bend or bind on installation.
BTW, being in NJ, a 195* wouldn't hurt for the winter months.