problem with the starter. really need help

alright so im guessing this is a coil type starter. but only one wire is hooked up. thats the wire hooked up to the starter relay. well the car doesnt want to crank over but if you run another wire straight to the battery it will crank over. ive switched out the relay already so im pretty positive that, that is not it. any help would be appreciated, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

need more info to help... what is the year of the car in question? stock style starter or mini starter? like stated above do a search for "starter problem" or "starter wiring" and you'll find some useful diagrams and help, good luck

More info would really help, as stated. I would start metering all of my wires/ connections if you have a multimeter. If not, at least inspect them and your grounds. Make a "test jumper" and connect it on top of the existing wiring, if it fixes the problem, replace the wire you bypassed. Hope that helps a bit...

.....but if you run another wire straight to the battery it will crank over

Run another wire from where to the battery?

As noted, assume nothing. Test the solenoid. Jrichker has a very nice write-up for diagnosing the solenoid.

Good luck.

alright the car is a 92, it has the 96 explorer motor in it. theres only one wire i can see that will run from the starter to the relay. i was thinking maybe its the ignition that is the problem for it not cranking over. i've done alot of research on the starter problem but alot that comes up is about that spade wire. my starter doesnt seem to have a connection for that wire.

You dont need an ignition for the engine to crank over.

If you have a piggyback solenoid on your starter, you need a minimum of two wires going to the starter.

In the future, tell people what year of stang and mods you have. It keeps people from guessing as much.

Good luck.