Problems already.....

Hambone85GT

Feb 4, 2009
Alberta
The smart guy who i am bought the car off of has lost the keys to it, i will be going to pick it up in a little over a week and am wondering what my options are. SDhould i get a new steering column? He said he called the ford dealer with the vin and they need a number off of the ignition or something? Please help he knocked off a whole bunch off the price at least:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the ignition switch is pretty easy to remove if you have a drill. I know there is a small pin the locks the switch into the column. When you turn the key out of the lock position, you can push the pin in towards the cylinder and just pull the whole switch out. This is what I did to remove mine, but my switch could turn with no key so it came right out...

Im assuming if you drill the pin out, the switch should slide right out. Makes sense to me.

I believe the ignition switch is pretty easy to remove if you have a drill. I know there is a small pin the locks the switch into the column. When you turn the key out of the lock position, you can push the pin in towards the cylinder and just pull the whole switch out. This is what I did to remove mine, but my switch could turn with no key so it came right out...

Im assuming if you drill the pin out, the switch should slide right out. Makes sense to me.

we had to do it to my dads GT we used a punch and a hammer. came right now.

foxbodyrestoration has the single key setups for fairly cheap or the 2 key setup:shrug:, just saw their website about a week ago, I may buy the single key setup for my stang, as of now I have 3 keys:notnice:

i called one of my local locksmiths, he said that if i bring in the ignition he can cut me a key. But i need a key to take the ignition out?

True if you need to reuse the cylinder you need the key. If you are replacing it all you can go old school theif on it.

If it were me, I would go old school and replace the ignition cylinder all together ($20 from any parts store). I am pretty sure all 79-93 Mustangs use the same ignition cylinder (thats what the cross reference shows) I am unsure about the doors though.

Pretty easy if you have small hands, if you have mits like me...a lil more difficult, lol. You have to remove the door panel and then detatch the rod that clips to the back of the lock. Then there is a flat metal clip that slides between the lock cylinder and the inside of the door that holds it in place.