Problems installing heating/ac system

pyroman

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2002
Ennis, Texas
I recently replaced my heater and took the liberty to investigate and replace as needed some heating/ventilation system components. I have the in dash A/C. One of the things I replaced was the defroster duct. I bought the ABS plastic piece from NPD. But when I put it in it just didn't want to line up with both the ducts in the dash and the (for lack of a better term) plenum. How is it supposed to attach to the 'plenum' exactly? Does it just sit there? Even with the blower motor mount in the firewall and the one large sheet metal screw completely tight it doesn't line up properly. Anyone else have these issues?

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm… If this doesn't answer the question, it'll help us understand the question.

67MustangAC.jpg

Ok that should help in describing the problem at least. The 'plenum' I was describing is down in the lower left hand corner (part number 19C698). The defroster duct doesn't appear to pictured individually although I think it is drawn in hidden line in the dash. It actually looks like part number 18490 might be it. The pictures seems to suggest that they just sit together. Is there anyway to look these up numbers with a picture? Are they Ford factory part numbers?

Ok that should help in describing the problem at least. The 'plenum' I was describing is down in the lower left hand corner (part number 19C698). The defroster duct doesn't appear to pictured individually although I think it is drawn in hidden line in the dash. It actually looks like part number 18490 might be it. The pictures seems to suggest that they just sit together. Is there anyway to look these up numbers with a picture? Are they Ford factory part numbers?

18940 is the one-piece AC defroster duct, and it attaches to the underside of the dash with screw studs and nuts. IIRC, the AC housing just butts up against it with a foam seal.

The numbers are Ford basic numbers. This illustration is from the Glazier Nolan catalog- They have organized the heat/ac section of their catalog by these numbers.