PROBLEMS REMOVING RING GEAR AND CARRIER

NastE50

Founding Member
May 21, 2002
IL
I bought an 86 Mustang GT with 5 lug cobra brakes and the whole deal for $1200. It also had a brand new 4:10 gear, brand new traction-lock, and brand new Moser 31 spline axles. I swapped the rear end with my car completely. I am now taking my old 4:10 gear out of my rear end and it is not having any of it. I bought my car when I was 17 four years ago and the 4:10 and exhaust were the only mods. Now I can't get the gear out! I can't pull the center pin out due to the tiny pin that holds it in. It seems that they over tightened the tiny pin and it broke in half inside the carrier. Does this make any sense to anyone? If not, here's a picture. Does anyone have any ideas? I want to sell these gears.-JORDAN
carrier9tz.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Your picture isn't the clearest thing in the world. But it looks like you are talking about the cross shaft pin that aids in the c-clip retention.....? You just have to be extremely careful for someone else's stupidity. I am assuming the carrier is still in the pumpkin. About the only thing you can do is improvise. I don;t know how you are going to do it but about your only chance would be to drill the thing out (you may also have to have a tap and die set nearby). Not much else you can do when a screw/bolt is down to the nub.

You other option which may be easier in terms of access. Drilling the cross shaft pin out by going from the top to get to the screw. This may be a little safer due to the fact that you don't have to mess with the carrier. I don't know what much else to tell you.......good luck.