Problems running rough...Need help bad!

mustangillusion

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2001
Oklahoma
I have an 87 Mustang GT, slightly modded, e303, ported E7's, gasket matched upper and lower, converted to mass air using 89 ECM, harness and mass air meter. I have the smog removed, no canister, no pump, still have canister purge valve, TAD & TAB solenioid. Just put engine in after sitting for about a year. Started it up and runs real rough, like its miss firing. New Plugs, Wires, cap and rotor. I thought before I went through the surging idle checklist, I need to get these codes knocked out. Koeo - got code 85 & 95. I know that code 85 is Canister purge valve failure. I had the connector connected to it, but no vacuum lines thinking it would fool the computer. I can blow through it slightly without grounding the grey wire. I havent grounded it yet to see if it opens up further. If I have to hook a vacuum back up to it to work correctly can I just hook a vacuum to one side and plug the other? Is there anyway to eliminate it all together? Code 95 had something to do with fuel pump circuit failure. I was told this had to do with my mass air conversion and it could be ignored, but I would like to find a way to remedy it. Im selling the car and I dont want the check engine light to be on. I have no idea how long the gas had been in the car. I bought it as a rolling chassis a year ago. Gas must be a few years old. I did however add 5 gallons of fresh gas in it not thinking the what was in there may be old. I wanted to make sure I had enough. So now I have 3/4 tank, 1/2 being old gas. If I dont get it worked out im going to drain the tank and start with fresh. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I messed with the car some more this morning. put a vac. gauge on the car and it was pulling about 12 at idle, found a major leak. Turns out my pcv valve vacuum hose popped off. Still runs rough though...and still getting codes 85 and 95. I will drain the gas tonight. Can I just take out the schrader valve, put a hose on it down to a can then bypass the test connector where the pump runs continously with the engine off. Drain it, then shut it off quickly when it runs out? I rather not pull the tank if I dont have to.