Problems with gassing up the car.

oatmealr

Jul 23, 2004
I've gassed my car up about 3 times now, and I am constantly having a problem with the pump 'breaking' as I try to fill up. I also notice that there is some gas that spurts up, almost like I am filling it to fast and have to start over. I read a post a while back about pulling the pump out just a bit to fix this problem, but that really doesn't seem to help. My old VW Golf NEVER did this, and it is REALLY annoying.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It takes forever to fill up and it's sorta embarrassing too.

• Sponsors (?)

....ahh, so it begins!. The new Mustang's teething problems are slowly rearing it's ugly head, I bet that they'll have a recall for this problem (and most likley others) before the '05 is properly sorted out; good thing I have no choice but to wait a while (hey, I gotta rationalize not being able to have this car someway, right? :lol: )

-Mike

oatmealr said:
I've gassed my car up about 3 times now, and I am constantly having a problem with the pump 'breaking' as I try to fill up. I also notice that there is some gas that spurts up, almost like I am filling it to fast and have to start over. I read a post a while back about pulling the pump out just a bit to fix this problem, but that really doesn't seem to help. My old VW Golf NEVER did this, and it is REALLY annoying.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It takes forever to fill up and it's sorta embarrassing too.

Are you seeing this happen at different gas stations or are you going to same one every time?

TomServo92 said:
Are you seeing this happen at different gas stations or are you going to same one every time?

These have all been to different gas stations, but I have noticed some worse than others.... but it has always happened. I am going to try and gas up the car before the low fuel light is on. Maybe it has something to do with very low levels of gas and fumes or something?

I'll check out brads, thanks.

Do not let the tank get near dry, hit the pumps when you are down maybe half of the tank and see what happens.

I had this happen once or twice on my ZX2 and it has always been when the gas is very low. I read up a little on it and saw somewhere that there is a valve in the fuel neck and that if it doesn't open/close all the way you can have problems. A friend of mine thought it might be a ventilation issue, an evap system?

Anyway, backing it out a bit or not waiting for the tank to be so low fixed it.

YMMV.