Problems with my TCP rack and KRC pump

Last summer I put on the TCP rack & pinion with the KRC pump. At low idle like in the parking lot or turning the tires when stationary the pump groans and I could feel stuttering but seems fine when rolling down the road. I now have about 600 miles on the system but I took a close look under the car and there is a trace of fluid leakage in the racks gearbox. I initially filled the system with vavoline clear synthetic PS fliud but now it's alot darker with some fine black particles.

I pulled the pump out tonight and pulled the red and blue valves and there is no obstructions in them. I'm wondering if I should take the backing plate off the pump to inspect or could I open a can of worms? It looks fairly simple but I'm not sure whats inside the pump. The only think I could think of is maybe there could be some teflon hose particles (when the fittings were put on) maybe clogged somewhere impeding the flow?

Any input is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I called them last summer right away and got the standard response. "check for obstructions in the lines". I didn't get the impression they were very interested in helping me beyond that. But I think I made the tech guy at Chris Alston feel good by getting rid of me right away. I think I have close to 3K tied up in the system, maybe I didn't pay enough for them to care?

If I don't find contamination in the lines, I'll be following up with TCP (Chris Alston) and KRC to see who will stand behind their product. If I left teflon in the lines, I'll take full responsilbility but we were very careful at installation.

Still looking for input on pulling apart the pump if anyone has ideas.

I also have this system installed, and has had no problems. I'd take off the hoses, flush them with hot water, and then try again (if you have't tried that allready). But it might not be the source of your problem. At idle my car is heavier than when driving. But the pump isn't making noises. Do you have exessivly low idle rpms? It could be that your idle is so low that the pump doesn't produce enough flow and starves the rack. Try giving a little throttle when the noises appear, and see if it acts better.

Depends on the obstruction. A small obstruction wouldn't do much. You can limit flow with a flow limiter and it's not going to make the pump groan.

A little seapage from the rack is pretty minor. I can't see that it would cause the pump to make noise again unless it's a severe loss in line pressure.

If you're sure the belt is not causing the problem, I would contact KRC for their feedback. It sounds like the pump.