Procedure to Repair and Repaint Front & Rear Mustang Bumper?

RED2001GT

Mar 18, 2003
I was at my body shop today and I noticed that the shop had both front and rear bumpers sitting on top of a special metal stand. There was one bumper on each stand. I noticed that there was smoothed out filler/putty on both bumpers in the small areas on the bumper where both bumpers had damage to them from the hit and run accident.
Anyways, I also noticed that the Torch Red factory paint was still on the rest of the bumper on both bumpers where there was no filler/putty. I would like to know HOW the body shop is going to repaint both bumpers when the original factory paint is still on both bumpers? Will the body shop have to sand off ALL of the factory Torch Red paint that's still currently on both bumpers in order to paint them? Or are they going to only "spot" paint over the areas where the body shop put filler/putty and leave the original factory paint on the rest of the bumper? I would think that they will have to repaint the ENTIRE bumper? Is that correct? WHY is the factory paint STILL on the rest of the bumper? Is this a common body shop practice to leave the factory paint still on the bumper while they put filler/putty on the bumper to do the repairs?
I would like to know.

• Sponsors(?)

DTNODYA

Dec 15, 2005
It really depends on the size of the damaged area. If the area is small, then it can be filled, sanded, the area around the filler (few inches) should also be sanded/scuffed, and it can be painted/blended to the rest of the paint without having to paint the entire bumper.

Having said that, if your bumper has a good bit of damage AND/OR has other spots that are faded, chipped, or just look crappy ... they should re-paint the entire bumper. Either way, they do not have to sand all the old paint off. They would just scuff it up with some fine grit sandpaper or a scotchbrite pad (so the paint will stick) and spray it with the basecoat color then clearcoat. Make sense?

For what it's worth, next time you go to the body shop you should just ask them how they plan to spray it. If they are going to blend it or scuff the entire bumper and re-spray...

mineralgray2002

Dec 4, 2005
Centralia, Illinois
I go to school in autobody, and they should either scuff the rest of the bumper and blend it together, or just scuff it and repaint the whole thing, depending on how much they are getting from the person. with a color like torch red, it shouldnt be terribly hard to blend in the color especially if the damage is around the curves of the bumper

RED2001GT

Mar 18, 2003
They repainted the whole front and the whole rear bumper. I didn't think about it until the last minute and I forgot to ask them whether or not they will repaint the entire bumper because I thought that they would. Anyways, they repainted the whole front and the whole rear bumper and they ALSO added 3 coats of clearcoat to both bumpers.

RED2001GT

Mar 18, 2003
n0v8or said:
What was the cost to fill and repaint both bumpers?
The total cost was $641.22.
They took both bumpers off and they also took off the front and rear lights and the front grill off the car. They then took off the reflectors from the rear bumper too. Then they straightened out a crease that was in the front bumper with some type of heat source. I think that they used a heat lamp for this, but I am not sure about it. They then fixed the scratches and the small gouges in the front bumper. The rear bumper had minimal damage to it. There was only a 6" inch circular crack in the paint and a small 3" inch wide scuff/scratch mark on the left corner of the rear bumper. I am not sure how they did this, but after they put filler/putty in the areas where the bumper had scratches and small gouges in it they repainted the whole bumper. I am not sure what other work that they did before they repainted the whole bumper. They also put 3 coats of clearcoat on both bumpers. The only other thing that they did was align or straighten something that connected to the front bumper because the front bumper was pushed "in" about 1" inch on the driver's side only in a small area just below the hood where the plastic part of the top of the bumper connects/meets the edge of the hood. There was nothing that was bent or broken that was located behind the front bumper before they did the adjustment/straightening. Everything behind the bumper like all the panels, including the bumper bar, the bumper shocks, bumper shock tubes and all the sheet metal and metal connecting parts and panels all around the front bumper where the bumper cover goes on were all straight and undamaged.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
marvinmycat Online Source: TSB's, Repair Procedures, More!!! SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 2
B Jacking Procedure For Wood Cribbing? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
YadiStang 1969 Mustang Headlight Install Procedure 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 6
M Pi Head Swap Break In Procedure. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 6
69shocktower The Seafoam Procedure Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
7991LXnSHO Engine Coolant Pressure Test Procedure Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
0 Water Pump Procedure Questions SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0
woodsnake Double Check My Procedure Here.. Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
CarMichael Angelo Torque to Yield....what an unnerving procedure 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 37
flashback87 Compression Test Procedure? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
M break in procedure 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech 15
horseballz Break In Procedure/Oil For Crate Engine? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 11
GTA_V6_Mustang Fuel Pump Replacement Procedure...(56K Beware) 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 9
J Idle surge, try this simple procedure Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
MRaburn Ford Mustang Restoration Tech & Procedures StangNet Site News 0
S Coolant fill procedure SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
jb1dsl Proper procedure for installing trunk gasket?? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
jb1dsl Proper procedure for window trim install? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 0
JC6715 Full Restoration Break In Procedure Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
ninety15.0 Battery Draw Test Procedure Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
blackraven Ford buyback procedure 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
hotstang_46 So is this the EXACT procedure for JMOD 99+ stangs? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
C Install Procedures For C&L Perf Cold Air 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 3
Shakerhood Airbag Test Procedure ? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 13
P changing oil pan. advice? check list? procedure? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
BLOWN 5.0 FOX Proper engine break in procedure with boost Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
laughing horse proper break in procedures 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 12
R Lifter preload procedure differences Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
LaserRed01GT Does anybody know a procedure for testing the MAF sensor resistance? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
M New clutch and rebuilt trans break in procedure? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 6
90_Red_LX My intake install progress/procedure Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
F 2001 Cobra Coolant Changing Procedure SVT Tech Forum 1
M Wheel Stud Replacement Procedure?? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 7
8 Common rebuild machining procedures? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
3 Similar Idle adjusment procedure?? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 16
U 2005 gt break in procedures 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 14
B Anyone familiar with FLORIDA smog, DMV, and registration procedures? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
1994Vib.RedGT installing x-pipe....?jacking procedures? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 6
SNAKEYES86GT Battery Relocation Procedure Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
ExplodingGopher Breakin in procedures for a flat tappet cam... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
S Aussie break-in procedure 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 4
O break in procedure on SC 331 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 7
F Procedure for Cleaing TB and intake. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
HuebyStang94 Throttle body/intake clean-up procedure 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 7
Vipersix Break In Procedure for New Engine Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
Platonic Solid Break-In-Procedure for New Engines Classic Mustang Specific Tech 14
R what is the "proper procedure" Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
chefster restarting computer procedure 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
jaymac smog pump elim. procedure? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 23
SpectralSamurai Engine Rebuild Procedure Feedback 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 9