progression of retro?

• Sponsors (?)

Crash Gordon said:
I dissagree. . .
Like I said, I was going out on a limb. I know most folks assume the new Mustang is retro, because that's what they keep hearing. So I doubt many will agree with me at this point. I still think it's design cues and overall styling is significantly different from the truly retro cars that you listed and the one's I listed.

Crash Gordon said:
The only other retro car that ford has made was the Thunderbird, and it has alreadt dissapeared.

The Ford GT isn't retro?

BTW, have you noticed that the retro flash-in-the-pan cars that have failed have failed because they either had no market to begin with, or they were just crappy cars? The Thunderbird sold well in Naples, FL, that's it. Everywhere else, it was just a throwback style at a premium PREMIUM price (with a particularily weak frame and NO power). The SSR is just plain stupid as an idea (a yacht club pricetag with a huge engine in a true porker of an overweight convertible pickup? - ya that's got large market segment written all over it). Prowler = hot rod with no guts (were they kidding???). Amazingly, Chrysler got it right with the PT - because it was, and still is, so cheap.

The Mustang by comparison has a market segment, in fact it is the market segment for affordable small sporty cars (i.e., pony car). And it's the best ever released (build quality, interior materials, chassis, engine - not to mention that Ford is doing a pretty good job holding the line on prices). So it's almost a given that it will sell, and continue to sell big. That should give the Ford designers plenty of motivation to find creative ways to keep the Mustang fresh, and further redesign as needed.