Project 1968 coupe with 300 big six!

Here is my 68 coupe:
0205001614.jpg

0205001614b.jpg

body is pretty straight, came with a clear title and alll the VINs match.

8R01T133916 65A 2B 26A 61 4W

8 - 1968.
R - San Jose assemble plant
01 - body serial code (hardtop)
133916 - 33,916 car built

65A - coupe

2B - blue vinyl buckets

26A - 26th January

61 - Dallas distric ordered the car.

4W - 2.83 rear gears with C-4 auto

Picture019.jpg

This is my 1985 300 inline, which is going to be taken completely apart and rebuilt with early 300 rods, forged 351 pistons, shorty headers, clifford dual carb intake with two 38 webers, Compcams street/strip cam, and other goodies.

THE BAD:
0205001618a.jpg

0205001617.jpg

Needs all new floor pans................ and maybe tunnel expansion to acommodate a T56 :Track:

• Sponsors (?)

if you need any advice, check over at Ford Six Performance Home/Index in the forums there. we have one dedicated to the big ford six, and there are a couple of members that have swapped the 300 into a mustang and falcon as i recall, and they can help you with information to get you over any difficulties you run across.

shame on you for not recognizing the car and build! This is FordMan1988 from FordSix. It was FordSix that gave me the inspiration for this torquey concoction.

Turbo please :D.. You have so much room, and enough cubic inches to make big power with a low boost setup.

The thought crossed my mind put that would limits me to an auto trans. Read of a turbo 300 built for a Ford truck street rod, 550hp 850 ft-bls of torque. Too much, I would lose my T56 option. Id like to see that engine in a Fox body. I may oneday build a turbo 2.3 fox. I think 325/425 is enough for my street rod. :D

The thought crossed my mind put that would limits me to an auto trans. Read of a turbo 300 built for a Ford truck street rod, 550hp 850 ft-bls of torque. Too much, I would lose my T56 option. Id like to see that engine in a Fox body. I may oneday build a turbo 2.3 fox. I think 325/425 is enough for my street rod. :D

dont need to lose the T56 option if you turbo the six, the T56 was designed to handle the power. remember that it was designed to be installed behind the viper V10.

Thats cool. I always thought it would be neat to have a 300. I was considering doing that to mine before the I6-V8 conversion. It was originally a 200. I was thinking there would be hood clearance issues.

What about th 450ft-lb max torque rating?

That's just a ball park rating used in picking a transmission. What actually matters is the sudden application of torque combined with too much traction. That's what breaks things. 500 ft lbs of torque smoothly flowing thru it at say 70 mph, isn't going to break anything. But if you really want tough, go with a Toploader 4 speed.

Thats cool. I always thought it would be neat to have a 300. I was considering doing that to mine before the I6-V8 conversion. It was originally a 200. I was thinking there would be hood clearance issues.

There is, I may be limited to a 3in cowl hood, but Id like to fit it under a Shelby GT500KR hood, but im still researching how much extra clearance that ram air hood provides. You can avoid the clearance issue by using sidedraft intake and webers, but then you have fender well clearance issues.

That's just a ball park rating used in picking a transmission. What actually matters is the sudden application of torque combined with too much traction. That's what breaks things. 500 ft lbs of torque smoothly flowing thru it at say 70 mph, isn't going to break anything. But if you really want tough, go with a Toploader 4 speed.

or if you want a six speed trans, the richmond R.O.D. six speed is a fine choice.

Here is a rough idea of the engine build:

1985 300 block.
Hypereutectic 4.020 pistons
Hastings Power Flex Rings .020
Federal Mogul Mains .020 Under
Clevite Performance Bearings Std.
Federal Mogul Cam Bearings Std.
Comp Cams High Energy™, 268H
Melling H.V. Oil Pump
Eagle H-beam Rods 6.300 2.100 Rod Journal
Roller rockers (may opt for high energy rockers)
ARP Main Stud Kit, Rocker Studs,
Fisher International Ballancer
Bore 4.020
Power Hone 4.020
Performance valve job
1.94/1.60 SS valves
Performance Balance job on Steele Crank w/ in 7 grams
Grind Rod Journals to 2.100
Deck Block to Square
Align hone to Factory specs
Deck block for Zero Deck
Clifford dual carb intake manifold
2xHolley 350 CFM or 2 Webers
Clifford shorty header

(this is a modded list from another build, actual choices may vary during the building process)

Fellow FordSixer chiming in lol. Good luck...theres been talk more than once that a hot 300 might have to replace the turbo 200 in my 66 when/if it ever goes south. Its still runnin hard and blowin headgaskets like it was made to do so it may be a while before it ever happens lol. Should be a head turner when you get it on the street, mine sure is!!! Keep us updated, would love to see that thing up and runnin!!!
Matt

Fellow FordSixer chiming in lol. Good luck...theres been talk more than once that a hot 300 might have to replace the turbo 200 in my 66 when/if it ever goes south. Its still runnin hard and blowin headgaskets like it was made to do so it may be a while before it ever happens lol. Should be a head turner when you get it on the street, mine sure is!!! Keep us updated, would love to see that thing up and runnin!!!
Matt

Sadly right now its sitting waiting on the finances to finish my shop. its 20x24ft. Im going to concrete the floor and finish the front with doors. Hopefully in Jan I will have all that done.

I am planning on: fiderglass front apron with spoiler, 3in cowl hood, shalby decklid, and ground affects. Red exterior with black intereior, heated seats, AC, Alpine sterio, mag 500 rims, painless wire harness, 160mph speedo, steel tilt column, brushed aluminum dash and door panels, 67 grille.

It amounts to a pretty expensive package but I think it will be AWESOME!