Project 92 Notch Build Thread

lancec2c30

May 14, 2008
Washington
So back in August I picked up an '87 5.0 5 speed 'Vert for $1000. Was a runner and I thought it would make a great donor car "later on". Well some guesstimations were made and the engine/trans came out. :shrug:

Then about 3 weeks ago I acquired a '92 4cyl. auto coupe. So I have slowly begun the swap proccess, along with an engine rebuild.

I'm just going to keep a progress thread going incase anyone was interested. :flag:

The 5.0 'vert shortly after I picked it up

fox-4-4resize.jpg

fox-3-5123.jpg

After stripping the interior and spending about 2 days cleaning I got the inside looking somewhat decent.

fox123.jpg

Engine shot

fox-1-4123.jpg

Here is the 92 coupe.

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

I'll have some more photo up shortly. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

The vert in the shop, getting ready to pull the motor.

DSC_0026.jpg

All gone. lol

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Stripping the block down. This thing was disgusting.

DSC_0070.jpg

As were the heads.

DSC_0073.jpg

Pressure washed the block, painted it, and put in a new set of freeze plugs.

DSC_0076.jpg

Cleaned up the heads as well. Painted them too.

DSC_0077.jpg

Will get more updates later.

Got the crank back in the block.

DSC_0084.jpg

Pistons and rods re-installed. As well as the comp cams timing set.

DSC_0088.jpg

Heads and water pump back on, all stock stuff.

DSC_0091.jpg

Pushrods and lifter back in.

DSC_0094.jpg

Lower intake and fuel rails.

DSC_0105.jpg

That's all I have for now.

that notch looks clean under the hood.

It's not as clean as the pictures give it credit. :p

:stupid:

nice work

Thanks

looking good man!

Thanks, those motor mounts will make a nice contribution. :nice:

Lookin good. That notch looks very clean. The red valve covers are a nice touch too... Keep up the good work...:nice:

Thanks man, I painted them before even knowing I was getting a red car. So it worked out. haha

Looking good projects are fun times! Whats the plans for it any mods to the motor or is it gonna be a DD?The hard top coupe is clean.Where abouts you at in washington? PEACE

john:p

Plan is to get the swap done for now and just drive it. I really don't want to take the 302 very far. Later on it'll have a 351W in it.

Yeah, I'm another west sider. Haha. I live in Chehalis, it's about smack dab in the middle between Seattle and Portland.

I admire you having a plan and sticking to it. I would have been tempted to self port those E7's at the least. I just cant pull something apart and put it back together with the exact same parts...

Trust me, the temptation was there. "since I'm in here why don't a throw a cam in" "But then I need heads".... you know how it goes. :D

Random picture of my all-mighty stock rockers. Haha.

DSC_0002.jpg

This is one way to take the 5 speed pedals out of your donor car. I wouldn't recommend it though. :rlaugh:

DSC_0110.jpg

I put them in the coupe through the bottom. Probably took as long, but saves from ripping the whole dash out.
Either way, swapping pedal sets is a huge PITA. :mad:

DSC_0108.jpg

All I have for now. :flag:

Got a little more done in the past few days.

All the paint on the booster was peeling from brake fluid getting on it. So I had to hit it with paint stripper and start over with a quick rattle can job. :p

DSC_0111.jpg

Got it mounted in the notch, the upper brake lines matched up. I think I can get away with just changing the drivers side front line.... I hope anyway. :shrug:

DSC_0115.jpg

All my 5.0 brake parts for the front ready to go on.

DSC_0113.jpg

Got both sides swapped this afternoon/evening.

DSC_0117.jpg

Oh, and I finally got the upper intake on the engine.

DSC_0119.jpg

Thanks for looking. :flag:

Some more progress over the weekend. Got the fuel lines swapped, the A9P in, wiring harness somewhat installed, new shocks, and a bunch of other little stuff.

Along with the V8 front sway bar.

DSC_0121.jpg

The 8.8 rear end right when I started painting it.

DSC_0131.jpg

Paint finished.

DSC_0132.jpg

And it finally in the coupe. After I got all the control arms, shocks, and quad shocks hooked up. I noticed the rear springs were still setting on the floor next to the car. Haha, that really kept the enthusiasm up at 1AM....not.

DSC_0140.jpg

Tidy up some wires when the engine gets in.

DSC_0145.jpg