Project Blue Blaze!

beefcake

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2000
Cincinnati, OH
Hadn't put up a build thread here even though most are familiar with the car, so why the heck not!

Lets keep everything in one place!

Coming off the truck - 6-18-10

Took Delivery 6-19

2011gt23.jpg

Untouched - Lasted less than a week! - Stock time was a 13.28@107 (6-20 less than 100 miles on the odo)

2011gt6.jpg

2011gt15.jpg

Week 1

Got the windows tintend 90% and the windshield 50%. Used a BMR swaybar relocation kit to make room for the wheels. 15x10 Race Stars on the rear and 17x4.5 Race Stars on the front. Running MT ET Streets on the rear and hoosier 26x7.5x17's on the front.

CDC Chin Spoiler and a clear bra as well. 4.10's and an Evo Tune on an Xcal 3 along with a Saleen Grill.

2011gt31.jpg

Along with the 4.10s, Finish Line Performance did a Jeg's Differential cover and welded the axle tubes. Threw on a set of Cobra Jet Drag springs along with a Team Z upper and lower Control Arms.

2011gt24.jpg

Took the car to my buddies, and he came up with some carbon fiber flames for the hood. Most thing it's a reverse painted hood, but it's actually painted to look that way.

2011gt41.jpg

With the tires, tune, and gear, car went [email protected]. (6-25-10) A pickup of just over .9 tenths.

The DA was 2278 by dragtimes.com, so we'll use that as a baseline just for consistency, since they pull weather stats from the same place.

The [email protected] corrects on dragtimes.com to [email protected].

YouTube - Beefcakes 2011 5.0 Mustang GT - Break in @ 400 miles!

3 Weeks

Car off to stainless works for a full system.

2011gt34.jpg

2011gt35.jpg

2011gt38.jpg

7-23-10

Hit the track with the Full Stainless Works System.

Car was ran a 12.27. This was the exact same track as last time with the only change being the stainless works exhaust.

The DA was 2588 ft. Using Drag Times.com the 12.275 Corrects to [email protected] mph. On Lamottas dyno with another car, the headers on a tuned car picked up 23 rwhp. So. Considering I picked up a tenth in worse air (corrected to a tenth in a half at sea level) I'd say those #'s are pretty accurate.

8-5-10

Headed to the NMRA ZMax race in Concord, NC. Finished in the 1/4 finals. Pretty decent for the cars first showing.

Photo Courtesy of MMFF online!
2011gt46.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Ford Racing Nation
zmax1.jpg

8-25-10

Finish Line Performance Installs a Vortech TTrim Prototype 2011 Kit

vortech1.jpg

9-5-10

Trailered the vehicle to Evolution Performance in PA to get it tuned and ready for the 2011 5.0 MMFF Invitational Shootout. Car was dynoed on their MD Dyno with the ET Streets.

Jon Lund popped in to tune the car. It made 528/448 on the dyno.

vortechdyno.jpg

Dyno Video
YouTube - 2011 5.0 Mustang Vortech Dyno

At the Shootout, the car ran a 10.86 @ 128 mph. (First Factory Automatic Supercharged car in the 10's)

This vid is a couple weeks later, but the shootout was on the downlow for a couple months until the mag came out.

YouTube - First Stock Automatic 2011 Supercharged 5.0 Mustang to go 10's!

9-20-10
For the NMRA Race, I needed to be legal, so I dropped the car off at K&M Welding and Chassis Fabrication in Amelia, OH.

cagec.jpg

cagei.jpg

cagep.jpg

caget.jpg

cageu.jpg

9-29-10
Also for the race, we threw in a Detroit Locker and my factory 3.55's from my 2010 car. They only had about 500 miles on em, so I figured they were good. The car was bouncing off the limiter on the shifts alot with the 3.55's, and I thought the lower gear might help.

10-1-10
Hit the NMRA World Finals. Everyone thought it would slow down, but the car ran .5 better with the 3.55's at the NMRA world finals! First time the car broke 130mph as well. Also took home a win in the SST class!

10nmrabg12.jpg

10nmrabg1.jpg

10nmrabg4.jpg

10nmrabg11.jpg

10-8-1-[/img]

Decided to try out some drag radials, thought they would be good for a tenth or two on the stock auto with no stall. Car spun bad, got back in it down track, it bounce off the limiter pretty hard. And we got...

piston.jpg

rod.jpg

Pulled the motor and that's where were at.

11motor1.jpg

11motor7.jpg

Finish Line Performance pulled the engine and ripped the top off and the tranny.

The Shortblock is at B.E.S. getting Manley Rods and custom Finish Line Performance Spec'd Diamond Pistons at a 10.1 compression ratio.

A complete Fore Fuel system along with triple Walbro 255's will be going in the car as well.

After we get it together running in the next week or two we will be dynoing the car and getting a baseline. We will be ripping the engine back apart to do a head / cam comparison with a set of JPC heads for an article for 5.0 Mustang and Super Ford Magazine. The results of which will be held for the mag.

Also going on will be a JPC upper control arm, JPC line lock, Autometer Cobalt Fuel and Oil pressure gauges along with a boost gauge in a Speed of Sound triple gauge pod. In addition I will be adding a Roush vent pod with a Dynojet wide band to really keep a good eye on whats going on with the car!

• Sponsors (?)

Awesome post....you must make some serious $$$$$. Id love to do a set of forged rods and pistons with a Kenne Bell but promised myself after building my 04 (KB, fully built motor, cams etc) that my 2011 would stay stock.....maybe a CAI/tune. You give me the itch.........:nice:

Thought i'd update the thread.

We rushed to get everything back together for the Bradenton NMRA. It was a push, but we got it all done.

Heres what we got. BES Built shortblock with Diamond Pistons and Manley Rods. Bischoff also did a mild valve job on the heads, but we didn't do anything crazy because of the upcoming JPC Heads / Cams.

We had BES set us up double keyed for the ATI balancer going on.

Finish Line humped it and got it back in the car and everything working great.

rebuild1.jpg

rebuild2.jpg

rebuild3.jpg

rebuild4.jpg

rebuild5.jpg

For the fuel system. Nothing is available yet for the 2011's. Fore is working on it, but not to market just yet.

We went with a 2010 Fuel tanks we had cleaned and boiled. We added a Fore Hat with Dual Walbro 255's. We also added a Fore Fuel Filter and Fore Fuel Pressure Regulator. Rails will be coming soon, for now we are still dead heading, but the system is working good.

We went with 8 feed lines, and actually used the stock feed line for our return. It worked out really well.

rebuild6.jpg

rebuild7.jpg

rebuild8.jpg

rebuild9.jpg

rebuild10.jpg

rebuild11.jpg

We set the regulator at 40 base PSI and it's boost activated to give about 1 psi per pound of boost. The regulator actually helped calm down the big 60's. Before the return system, the stock system stays about 55psi all the time. And it can play havic with the big injectors at low rpm and idle. The regulator smoothed out 90% of that.

I went with the Autometer Cobalt's for the gauges as I think they are one of the best looking gauges and match the interior really well. We also did a Roush Gauge pod for the Dynojet Wideband.

Day

View attachment gauge1.jpg

Night

gauge2.jpg

For a little sizzle, I went with some custom made sill plates.

sill2.jpg

sill3.jpg

sill4.jpg

To make burnouts a little easier, we went with a JPC linelock. It's a single solenoid system and works great so far. Haven't had any issues out of the kit. The fitment is great, and the switch location has worked out really good.

I actually had JPC send us an extra matching switch for the fuel pumps. We wired them in to where we can turn them off for things like loading tunes, or waiting in the lanes with the datalogger running.

linelock1.jpg

linelock3.jpg

We then swapped out to a pulley that is showing us about 13 psi. Peak hp is around 11 psi at 6600 rpms. We are running very conservative on the tune to start with. 11.0 A/F with 17 to 18 degrees of timing. The car made 585 rwhp and 486 ft/lbs on
Dog House Racing's Dynojet.

11dynonewmotor1.jpg

Next up is the Boss Intake install. We sent the car to our fab buddy Rob Lewis at Rogue Race Cars in Williamsburg, OH. A new tube to the intake was going to be needed. The Vortech Kit inverts the throttle body. With the Boss Intake, the inverted throttle body hits the hood. So? What now?

How bout 90 degrees? The trick is the bolt pattern does not match. Luckily Rob is a talented individual and threw the adapter on the lathe and cut it in half, did a little rotating, welding, and machining, and voila! A perfect adapter!

View attachment bossintake1.jpg

Here are a few pics of where we are at right now with the car.

View attachment bossintake2.jpg

bossintake3.jpg

View attachment bossintake6.jpg

Dyno #'s on the Boss Intake will be coming tomorrow! The JPC Heads and Cams are awaiting install this weekend as well. Unfortunately those results are going to be part of an article for 5.0 Mustang and Super Ford Magazine. So, you'll have to wait for the article from Michael Johnson!

time for some updates

added the JPC heads / Cams. We ended up pulling the Boss Intake as the 2 just didn't seem to like each other. As far as the power gains, it's coming in 5.0 lol.

We also finished up the fuel system on the car.

We got rid of the lil 2 into 1 fitting we had and added Fore's nice billet 3 in to 1.

View attachment fore3.jpg

fore2.jpg

The piece actually fit in real good under the stock pastic piece under there. It tucks back a little more, but i left it forward for pic purposes.

We also got the inline filter added as well. Each pump has a nice filter under it, but this adds a little protection.

View attachment fore1.jpg

On the old setup we were running the #8 to the regulator and then returning off the regulator. Still dead heading at the rails.

With the metco rails, we were able to go to a true return system.

For the fuel line, we are using Earls Pro Lite. Brian @ Finish Line really likes it alot more than steel braided. It's lighter, more flexible, but plenty durable. Still looks real good too!

pro_lite.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Got the Circle D converter installed. It actually did better than I predicted. The converter combined with a 2.85 vs 3.12 pulley dropped 60's from 2.0's to a best of 1.46.

Best e.t. so far has been a 10.14@139 mph. That was compared to the 11.0's we'd been seeing on the new lower compression engine.

The T trim blower has a 3.75" inlet. The car has actually been running the 3.5" tube that Vortech sent with the pre production kit. I never even thought about the fact that the inlet pipe was corking us.

TT Mike R @ Vortech and he seemed to think a 4" inlet would be good for maybe 1 psi but maybe as much as 40-50 rwhp.

I have actually been overspinning the blower by about 5000 or so rpms with the 2.85 pulley. We tried a 2.75 anyway, got some slip, and still ran a 10.15.

Thinkin about a larger inlet got me thinking about a blower more matched to the rpm's I am seeing on it. I sent the head unit back to vortech. I already had the heavy duty gear case, so it was pretty easy for them to upgrade the blower to a "JT" trim.

The differences are

Blower--RPM-------CMF-------HP Rating
T------55000-----1200--------825
JT-----60000-----1450--------1000

We swapped back to the 2.85 pulley as well as it will put the blower right at the top of it's range.

The air charge should be cooler too.

We also got the new inlet fabbed up. 4" all the way through. We also cut down a lot of extra tubing from the blow off as well.

vortech4.jpg

vortech5.jpg

vortech6.jpg

Some comparison pics on the 2 tubes.

The pics do not do the justice to the size of difference in the filter either. It's overall about 50% bigger.

View attachment vortech7.jpg

vortech8.jpg

Also swapped the e.t. streets out in favor of some drag radials. Running m/t 295/55/15's. That's what the 1.4 60's have been on

Few things in the works.

In the process of finishing up valve springs on the car. Got one side done last night. (Not fun on a 32v while in the car).

While we were at it, we through in some billet oil pump gears.

We are also testing out Exedy's new clutch packs for the 6r80. Their parent company is the OEM manufacturer for Ford, and we are going to test them out and see what kind of bite we get.

Since we have the trans out, Circle D is reworking the converter for a little more stall. Hoping to get into the low 1.4 60's, and also not drop so much rpms on the shift.

I'm having the valve covers and engine cover done in kona blue to match the car and try to put a little bling under the hood.

Also, toying with the idea of a little hit of spray for a little bump if I need it during the nmra races.