Progress Thread Project Swampfox

Car: LX Coupe 5.0
Year: 1991
Budget: (I'm on one)
Start Date: 05 March 2015
End Date: (In progress)
Owner: Brian C.

ANOTHER COUPE BUILD!!!

I finally picked up the car I've been looking to get for about 4 years now. A 91 LX coupe. I drove from Virgina to Port St. Lucie Florida to get it and trailered it back. The gentleman who I got it from had already done a lot to it and with a straight body, decent exterior/ exterior, a turnkey built motor, and a price tag of $4500 it was a steal. The downside is that the bay is kind of cluttered with wires and whatnot. Its bad enough I don't fully grasp the concept of the motors workings with out the mess of wiring everywhere. The car has taken on a good amount of rust in the expected water buildup points. This will probably be the biggest task to tackle. I am a newbie when it comes to V8s, Mustangs, or higher performance vehicles in general. Im a VW guy transitioning from the dirty world of german cars, stretched tires, and air ride suspensions :p I hope that I can spark up some of you guy's interest with this build and also I really hope I can reach out to you guys, especially in the beginning, for help for some of these things because Im honestly just a handy kid with time on his hands that has no idea what he's doing.

My Goals
-Shave engine bay
-Repair Rust damage
-Tune/update engine and make more "Streetable"
-Full interior, black cloth restoration
-Exterior trim, lighting replacement
-Full custom paint to include engine bay, jambs
-Prostreet suspension of some type
-5 Lug conversion
-Manual brakes
-Wheels and tires (undecided)

Finished Already
These are things stated by the owner and things I've found. Most receipts for everything.
(Im not going to pretend I know what half this stuff is or means though :/)

- stock block bored 40 over
-308 cubic inch
-7000 rpm balanced crank
-Edelbrock aluminum heads
-Edelbrock upper/lower
-Performer RPM 2 intake
-574 lift Trick Flow cam
-eagle rods
-SRP pistons head studs
-BBK equal length shorty headers
-cat delete flow masters
-MSD billet distributor
-6al ignition box
-266 litre fuel pump
-Paxton SN 2000 supercharger
-76 mm c&l mass air flow
-24 pound fuel injectors
-holly throttle body
-Umi adjustable drag link rear
-spec 3 clutch and pressure plate
-hurst short shifter
-new clutches in rear with 1extra forced shim
IMG_9876.JPG
IMG_9911.JPG
IMG_9876.JPG

So far I've began cleaning up the bay, prepping for the battery, solenoid and distributor relocation.

IMG_0050.JPG

I plan on updating every couple days. Any tips,advice, and questions would be great. Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

looks like a nice straight car with some decent parts. couple of observations- not trying to pick it apart just trying to help

they dont make a 266lph fuel pump- it's 255
24# injectors are not enough for that build- you need at least 42
C&L MAF's are junk IMO

You may want to add an external trex or other fuel pump to prevent starvation
That cam is a TFS stage3 meant for very low rear end gears 3.90 or lower and the rpm range is 3500-6800. with a 110 LSA the idle with a blower is going to be very sketchy. What compression are the pistons as the cam is meant for high compression motors and you have a blower- I'd go with a blower or custom cam

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-51403003

What rockers and valve springs are on the heads.
Never heard of srp piston head studs
I'd get some 42's if not 60 # injectors, a PRO M MAF, ditch the FMU and get a tune.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty good advice above. I know you probably got some of the parts names transposed. I agree on getting a better maf, injectors, a cam more appropriate for your setup and a tune. I have never owned a blower car, so I would also take the advice above regarding the booster fuel pump.

Looks like a pretty good car though.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
I wish you luck sorting out that mess of an engine bay. These cars are pretty simple, just read up on it online and Im sure you'll be fine. Also, as said by others, Mikestang's advice is pretty solid for getting it running right.

Reactions: 1 user
looks like a nice straight car with some decent parts. couple of observations- not trying to pick it apart just trying to help

they dont make a 266lph fuel pump- it's 255
24# injectors are not enough for that build- you need at least 42
C&L MAF's are junk IMO

You may want to add an external trex or other fuel pump to prevent starvation
That cam is a TFS stage3 meant for very low rear end gears 3.90 or lower and the rpm range is 3500-6800. with a 110 LSA the idle with a blower is going to be very sketchy. What compression are the pistons as the cam is meant for high compression motors and you have a blower- I'd go with a blower or custom cam

http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-51403003

What rockers and valve springs are on the heads.
Never heard of srp piston head studs
I'd get some 42's if not 60 # injectors, a PRO M MAF, ditch the FMU and get a tune.
Thanks for the great info, yes I've had a few other people comment about the cam. The previous owner mentioned has was having issues with the injectors and the car running rich, which it no doubt does. Says fuel pressure is too high for the 24lb injectors and two regulators didn't fix the problem. Maybe a clogged return line? Did an oil change yesterday due to my oil smelling strongly of fuel. Hoping my cylinder walls aren't scored due to the oil thinning. Not sure of the rockers and valve springs but I'll let you know. I'll definatly look into the MAF, Cam, and fuel issues as my first engine component tackle.

Btw PLEASE pick it apart Lol I don't mind. I got this thing for a project.

Ok so here's my first "What's This!?" Post. First and foremost please excuse my inexperience. I'm extremely new to these motors. If you guys recognize it can you identify it, tell me if I need it, and if I dont how to properly hide/delete.

#1 found this in the driver fender.

#2 disconnected seems to be coming from starter area

#3 are these the stock injector hookups? There's 8 all around the block, all disconnected.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

I can't recall what the top one is off the top of my head.

The second one is going to be a plug for the egr or the water temp sensor on the passengers side. I am not sure which one. If the egr is deleted, then that would be my vote.

Joe

The one in the last picture is likely for the ECT sensor. I see no heater tubes, so it looks like the previous owner deleted the heater. The ECT sensor mounts to the heater tube in a straight-up position on foxes. Is the heater tube fitting on the intake plugged?

the box in the fender looks like some type of ignition spart box- if so, remove it.

I would highly recommend that you secure a chilton or subscirbe to alldata. In the interim @jrichker could you please provide this chap with some wiring and vacuum hose schematics. He's gonna need them.

The one in the last picture is likely for the ECT sensor. I see no heater tubes, so it looks like the previous owner deleted the heater. The ECT sensor mounts to the heater tube in a straight-up position on foxes. Is the heater tube fitting on the intake plugged?

There ya go, ECT is the correct term.

Joe