Project TIME WARP - Phase 1 - Suspension & Brakes

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
Hello everyone,

Starting a thread on the first phase of my project car. Project Time Warp is a early 1965, all blue, auto, V8. I bought this car about 6 years ago, drove it for a couple and had to park it because of suspension completely gone and didn't have time or money to do what I wanted. So here we are and I am currently replacing all of the suspension and brakes so I can drive it this summer.

Project Time Warp is a track inspired design and while it will be able to tear up the track it will not be a trailer queen or 100% track only car. I'm here to show what I'm doing to maybe inspire others and to get feedback if someone see's something I shouldn't be doing. I'll be posting pics over the next couple days of progress up to this point and as it goes moves forward.

I'm hoping to get it on the road here soon but a couple of my parts are on back order and the shops I use are extremely busy. Eventually this will be a complete tear down when I get the engine and drive train in, but for now I just need to drive it and do what I can on track days at Utah Motorsports Campus.

Attachments

• 20210525_195753.jpg
    20210525_195753.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Sponsors (?)

I will be following along on your build. I will be bringing a 1966 Coupe into my shop in the coming weeks to finally, after 20 years of sitting, get it running and complete the suspension and brake system. I did all the body and paint on it years 20 plus years ago and the owner has recently been fired up to get more of it completed. Once it's here I will snap a few photos of where it stands and post a few pics along the way. Maybe we can compare notes..

Finally got my front suspension, steering and brakes off. Yes the pick shows steering and brakes but those are gone. I have some cleaning up and painting underneath to do but I am still waiting for for some fab work on my spindles to be done and then powder coating so I'm still 2 weeks out til things start going back on.

Attachments

• fornt fender well.jpg
    fornt fender well.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: 1 user
This is a current equipment list that is going on the car now. Lot more to come and this list just includes the big stuff.

Front Suspension - Integra coilover shocks, Howe ball joints, Custom upper, lower and spindle with 1973 mustang big snout, Baer Brakes aluminum hub w/ARP 3in studs
Rear Suspension - 165lb leafs, Integra shocks, poly front bushing, rubber rear bushing
Brakes - AP Racing S197 brake kit, Wilwood Tru-bar dual pedal w/triple master cylinders
Steering - Chocostang 16:1 manual box, Opentracker steering kit with Baer Tracker
Frame - Subframe connectors, Z-Ray crossmember, shock tower brace
Engine - Rebuilt 302. Nothing fancy and will be replaced

Future plans:

Engine - 347 or 427 stroker with 600+hp
Transmission - 5 speed with OD
Rear End - 9in full float, panhard bar

Here's most everything I have ready to go on. Still have some fab work and powder coating to do.

Attachments

• Parts on Bench.jpg
    Parts on Bench.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 48
  • Spindle Mock Up.jpg
    Spindle Mock Up.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Shocks.jpg
    Shocks.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 49
  • Upper Control Arms.jpg
    Upper Control Arms.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Shock Tower Mounts.jpg
    Shock Tower Mounts.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 44
  • AP Brakes.jpg
    AP Brakes.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 51
  • AP Disc.jpg
    AP Disc.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 50
More parts sitting and waiting.

Attachments

• Steering Box.jpg
    Steering Box.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Shock Tower Brace.jpg
    Shock Tower Brace.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Strut Rods.jpg
    Strut Rods.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Baer Hub with ARP.jpg
    Baer Hub with ARP.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 56
They are a non standard size Essex uses for this and other vehicles. The rotors are 325x32mm. So that's 12.79". It's a perfect size because I can fit them under 17's. I have custom spindles and are having the brake mounts welded on this weekend. Here is a pic of the mock up. Link to the brake kit. You can pound on these all day with zero issues. A friend at work bought a C8 and those brembos are crap. Yeah they look big but the dust seals will be melted after an hour of heavy braking and real soft pedal feel soon after. I know more than you asked for.

Attachments

• brake mock up.jpg
    brake mock up.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 43
Could you do me a favor and measure from the center of the spindle to the outside of the caliper? I am curious as to how close the combination is to fitting under a 16" wheel(no one ever test fits brake setups for 16" wheels so its hard to come by info for different setups for those of us running 16s)

Could you do me a favor and measure from the center of the spindle to the outside of the caliper? I am curious as to how close the combination is to fitting under a 16" wheel(no one ever test fits brake setups for 16" wheels so its hard to come by info for different setups for those of us running 16s)
Of course. I should have them back by Tuesday.