Project update

dmoody

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
Winston-Salem, NC
Hey guys, I got my engine back together... well mostly anyway. Anyway I wanted to let everyone know that the aluminum Cobra oil pan will not work with a II. That was quite an ordeal for me to try it (jack the engine, disconnect the sway bar and crossmember, remove the rack, starter, oil pan, oil pan pickup). In order to make it work you would have to cut out and weld a section around the starter and steering rack. I thought about modifying it, however by cutting out a section over the rack and welding in a hump, oil would not be able to effectively drain. Oh well, I had fun trying. Anyway after all that, I decided to at least sandblast my old pan and put in some new bolts. :)

d

• Sponsors (?)

If you're talking about bolt in with no modifications then I'd say you're right. Personally I think the II pan leaves a lot to be desired. The rear portion is nearly flat not allowing oil to drain nicely and it hugs the crank too much.

d

Am I understanding this correctly? A moroso oilpan will fit a mustang II and not hit the steering rack area with it and the engine in stock location? If so, here I come moroso.

I have a t-5 tranny with a t-5 bel from an 86 mustang so the starter area is of no issue. My Canton oil pan didn't fit without major massaging.

Alcino

>Car's looking good bro, when will she hit the streets??

Thanks for the encouragement and compliments. Everytime I offer a date I always end up being wrong... so I'll say that I'm hoping for sometime this year. I do have a few more mods to finish up:

Convert the car to five lug (Wilwood front brakes, 78 Granada rearend)
Modify and restore the shaker I got off e-bay to fit the hood/engine.

I had somekind of stomach virus yesterday and now feeling good and living well is profoundly joyful. What a difference contrast can make.

d

The Moroso pan guy was me, and it doesn't work perfectly. I'm not sure if it'll differ from the 302 to the 351w, but I have the 351w.

The front passenger side corner of it gets into the front sway bar, and then there's the oh so fun steering rack issue. It doesn't clear that, unless you want to modify it.