Proper Dual Exhaust Install

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Hey Guys,
I'm doing my I6-V8 conversion and will be changing to dual exhaust.

While the floor pan is exposed should I be welding in reinforcement plates (& bolts??) for dual exhaust?
I guess my question is: does adding dual exhaust require the reinforcing and hangars or can it be hung underneath without issues on what was originally a non dual ex car? If I should be adding in the plates etc does anyone have pics of the underside of what the hangars look like?

I saw the floor pan reinforcement pic in the "True GT" thread but am not sure if that was for GT's only or if that was typical for any dual exhaust car. What would the underside look like?

Thanks for your input.

• Sponsors (?)

the reinforcement plate was only GT ,hipo and mach 1s and bosses .the floor pan reinforcement plate is available now .not sure who makes it ,it was in last months mustang monthly though. you can do with out but use large flat washers
top and bottom or the bolts will break through

the reinforcement plate was only GT ,hipo and mach 1s and bosses .the floor pan reinforcement plate is available now .not sure who makes it ,it was in last months mustang monthly though. you can do with out but use large flat washers
top and bottom or the bolts will break through
Thanks Horse Sense. I'll check out the MM article too and will make a note to use the washers. I found a hangar kit for $80. Do most folks run 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust?

The floorpan reinforcement plates were used on all the '65 and '66 cars that had factory dual exhaust. I just received my set. They are made by Classic Tube in New York. The '65 version does not have the rear seat belt holes, while the '66 version does.

I hung mine from the seat belt bolts, I welded a small bracket onto the muffler body. All of the parts for the hangers were common auto parts store bits, I sliced one apart to make those weld on brackets.

IMAG0871.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0871.jpg
    IMAG0871.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 311
I hung mine from the seat belt bolts, I welded a small bracket onto the muffler body. All of the parts for the hangers were common auto parts store bits, I sliced one apart to make those weld on brackets.

IMAG0871.jpg
Looks great underneath. Interesting there's no X pipe. I like the red oxide look underneath and am thinking of doing the same with mine so a timely pic!! What's the extra metal welded on angle to the underside of your front frame rail extensions. Is that to provide more torsional support for a high HP motor??

Attachments

• IMAG0871.jpg
    IMAG0871.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,177
Looks great underneath. Interesting there's no X pipe. I like the red oxide look underneath and am thinking of doing the same with mine so a timely pic!! What's the extra metal welded on angle to the underside of your front frame rail extensions. Is that to provide more torsional support for a high HP motor??
torque boxes. what all 65-66s need

Thanks for the kind words, it took me about 8 months to take it from goey and rusty to that.

(Here is the goo )
IMG00239-20110128-1214.jpg

The angled flat plate are torque boxes. I added them to both sides just like the 68 cars had, makes a big difference when you connect the rockers to the front frame rails.

I opted out of an H pipe, the 65 shelby cars did not run em (Maybe some "R" cars) , so I did not bother. I could add one, but I dont see much point in it for a mild 289 street car.

Attachments

• IMG00239-20110128-1214.jpg
    IMG00239-20110128-1214.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 474