Proper Shocks For Lowered Mustang?

PULMEOVR

I need a bigger E-Penis.
Sep 29, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Hi guys,

My car is lowered on H&R SS springs, Steeda CC plates, and Tokico blues in the front and rear. The drop is about 2 inches.

This is the second time I've blown out my driver side front strut. I think the Tokico strut is too compressed since my car is lowered. It seems that when I hit a hard bump, the strut "bottoms out" and ruins the internals.

What struts are you guys using in your heavily lowered Mustangs? The rear Tokico shocks are fine, it's just my front struts.

• Sponsors (?)

You can try just replacing the blown strut with another Tokico blue, just this time order one for a Fox mustang. They are an inch shorter so they aren't nearly as compressed as the ones for our cars. Except for the length, they are identical to the 99-04 versions.

I have Fox struts, standard rear shocks I think. KYB AGX. about 8 years, no issues. Car is pretty low too.

The shorter struts are the way to go. I bought them based on tech support from Maximum Motorsports (and they know their :poo:)

Im pretty sure I have Fox fronts, but normal rear shocks.

If you have a mild drop like Steedas or Ford C Springs I dont think it matters at all. But with H&Rs etc. its probably the way to go. Makes sense to shorten the strut if you really shorten the spring a lot.

I have seen people recommend Fox struts before. So basically I go to American Muscle to the 1979-1993 section, and just get some Tokico blue struts for my 2003? I want to use H&R springs too so Im trying to get it right the first time.

This is great info. Only one question: Should a person get front and rear struts/shocks for a Fox? Or Fox for front and regular for back?

The majority of the stress (especially for drastically lowered cars) is on the struts. The shocks shouldn't matter as much, but since the two are the same price, there's no harm going with the Fox shocks.

I have seen people recommend Fox struts before. So basically I go to American Muscle to the 1979-1993 section, and just get some Tokico blue struts for my 2003?

Yup. They bolt right up.

The majority of the stress (especially for drastically lowered cars) is on the struts. The shocks shouldn't matter as much, but since the two are the same price, there's no harm going with the Fox shocks.

Yup. They bolt right up.

Ok, thats good to know. Im just worried that they wouldnt work with our cars. Heck who am I kidding the Mustang is the same underneath the sheet metal from 1979-2004...

I'm running H&R SS's. I've had Koni adjustables out back since it was stock height without any issues other than hooking up from a dig. The stock struts didn't take the abuse so I tried some Lakewood 70/30 drag struts. The car handles a lil dicey in the twisties but I'm hooking up much better at the redlights. The drag struts are a trade off but for how I drive I like them.

Hi guys,

My car is lowered on H&R SS springs, Steeda CC plates, and Tokico blues in the front and rear. The drop is about 2 inches.

This is the second time I've blown out my driver side front strut. I think the Tokico strut is too compressed since my car is lowered. It seems that when I hit a hard bump, the strut "bottoms out" and ruins the internals.

What struts are you guys using in your heavily lowered Mustangs? The rear Tokico shocks are fine, it's just my front struts.

Wish I had found this thread before I bought 0Koni struts and shocks for my '98 Cobra.
I haven't checked the fronts yet bet the rears are almost an inch longer that the Monroes they'er replacing, but I did a little more research and found out that monroe makes a shock that is about 2 inches shorter. The # 32316 is the perfect rear shock for any lowered fox or SN95.
If you don't want monroe matics use this # to convert to which ever shock your looking for.
BTW, 32316 is a rear shock for a 89 - 91, 98 - 04 Chevrolet/ GMC Tracker. A perfect fit for any 2"-3" lowered Stang

Yup. They bolt right up.
I know this is kinda an older thread but was wondering if you do switch over to the fox body struts do you use the same bump stop that was on the original new edge mustangs strut and add it to the fox body strut? I have an 04 gt that was lowered a tad over 1 1/2 inches in the front and have purchased KYB fox body struts for it and will be putting them on myself just was wondering about the bump stop...also noticed the fox body stangs use a metal spacer near the top of the shaft on the strut and the 04 strut does not. Don't know if I should just bolt it up just like my 04's strut with the same bump stop or shave some off or what???

Reactions: 1 user