Wheels-Tires Proper way to install rear wheel studs 2002 V6

Dwright

Jun 5, 2020
Wayne, pa
Hi Everyone,
I know that the proper way to install new wheel studs is to remove the axle. But, what does that help with? Are you supposed to remove the abs ring? And if so how is that done? Trying to avoid grinding the side off the new studs but not sure if I can get the stator ring off and then back on properly.
thanks,
Daniel

• Sponsors (?)

Apparently Ford just replaces the axle if a stud breaks (according to a 98 service manual the studs/axles are a single part number). :doh:

Technically, the ABS ring and studs are press fit. To do it properly, you'd remove the axle and use a press to remove the abs ring, install the studs, and reinstall the ring. Removing the axle involves draining the differential and pulling the cross pin from the center section, which allows the axles to slide in to get the clips off the ends.

This one's a tough call for me. I hate the idea of cutting studs, but it is a lot of extra work to get the axle out to press this stuff in too. Others have trimmed the studs successfully though, so it should be viable.