Properly removing gauge needles - installing aftermarket gauges

JadeFalcon

Founding Member
Mar 28, 2002
Arlington, TX
Alright, well I bit the bullet and after contemplating getting some EL backlit gauges I decided to go ahead and get some for my 4 banger, since I have alot of problems with the lights going on and off spiradically, a real pain in the ass. So here was my answer, these gauges, however, I ran into a problem, as you can see, I can't slide them over the needles cuz of that wonderfully shaped gauge base ( :mad: ) So, how do you properly remove the gauge needles, also any tips about how to set them in place like the gas/temp gauges?

crap01.jpg

crap02.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

You can slide a fork under the needles to remove them.
NR actually sent a tool to remove the needles.
You can either make a drawing of where the needles are before you remove them or take a pic. Pull the plastic stop on the speedo needle before you remove the needle.

here is another link (not for stangs, but has some does and donts) for future searchers of the topic.
http://www.stratusphere.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=79

ive always been afraid of yanking needles and getting them back in place correctly (want to stick some in the g/f's camaro). like if i got off my one increment, id drive myself crazy thinking the car is jacked (gauges reading weird). LOL.