Proverbial Chicken / egg query.. T5 vs stock axles

skiwesser11

Car is dyno tuned, plugs are autolight of stock heat range,(can’t remember number right off) I tried a colder heat range a while back and it seemed even worse best I remember.. was going by the 2* per 50 rule as far as timing.. again “trying” to stay on safe side... I’m hoping there’s a safe side at this level anyway... although TB injection isn’t safest I know but at 100-150 max I always assumed/“heard” it was nothing lol..... only now am I actually trying to use it other than just playing around then quitting with not stellar results...until I get better information/understanding.
Thanks again gents!!

• Sponsors(?)

StangNet created a new car social app called knowmoto! Add your Mustang or post a photo in the knowmoto app and enter for a chance at a $100 gift card from LMR. Click the LMR Logo for more about the knowmoto Mega Thread!

Gear grabber

May 23, 2016
I would go at least 1 heat range colder (with nitrous) and would not use autolites or projected plugs.
I just went to NGK 5671A-9 at .030 that is 3 heat ranges colder then stock.

Last edited:

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
I'd do the axles as stated previously. You don't want to experience a broken one. C clip eliminators are a must at least.

The t5 will break...just a question of when. I've been running a 4cyl t5 behind several engines over the last bunch of years. This combo I have now will break it for sure. Guess we'll find out shortly.

skiwesser11

I would go at least 1 heat range colder (with nitrous) and would not use autolites or projected plugs.
I just went to NGK 5671A-9 at .030 that is 3 heat ranges colder then stock.
Do you happen to know stock plug heat range NGK number?? Seems like I’ve had NGK’s that didn’t run as well as the autolites and I was surprised... but could have had colder range plugs or a bad set or something, didn’t try them again... I’m running autolite 3924’s currently

skiwesser11

With no knowledge of the o.p.'s compression,total timing,AFR etc. Making a blanket timing statement is not a good idea.
I don’t know actual compression ratio but it’s a “306” stock crank, eagle rods, forged pistons, AFR 165 heads w/58cc chambers, Ed Curtis cam, RPM 2 intake, 65mm TB, pro-m 80mm MAF, 24lb injectors, long tubes....professionally tuned on dyno so AFR is good but I also do not know total timing... I think he said 32*..?but I don’t know for sure
Thanks again guys

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
I've broken 2 WC T5s on Cooper Cobras and still have the stock axles.

It's been to the track 4 times (ever) and never been on slicks.

That is all.

Reactions: 1 user

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
5 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
Be careful spraying on a tuned car. The timing advance is programmed in the chip or computer and may not be retarded enough by simply changing base timing.

Joe

skiwesser11

Be careful spraying on a tuned car. The timing advance is programmed in the chip or computer and may not be retarded enough by simply changing base timing.

Joe
The tuner told me I was fine to retard for nitrous but optimally I should bring it back and put a “nitrous tune” on it as well as the SCT chip is switchable and will hold 4... I didn’t know that and still don’t know if there would be a cable coming from it at that point to switch between “tunes”?? I believe that’s what he told me when we first tuned it 15 years ago and would switch from glove compartment now that I think about it hard..
at any rate I’ve got the non protruding NGK’s in a 6 heat range for an 80hp shot (also have some -7’s if needed) .., will be retarding 3 degrees... I am still afraid to go by the only jet chart I can find online (or anywhere else) for this obviously very rare ‘TNW’ throttle body plate I have... I’m going by the calculator for a single fogger nozzle as the chart for plate shows considerably SMALLER fuel and LARGER nitrous jets than calc says for single nozzle for all levels..80, 100, 125, and 150... I know the plate distributes differently than a fogger nozzle but the differences scare me lol.... and the plate doesn’t have a part number on it... I’m just going to err on safety’s side and be disappointed until I talk to someone with experience with said plate, if I can ever find that person....thanks for the info and help gentlemen
I will be trying to learn to “read” the plugs but not sure if 80-100 shot is enough to leave the timing mark on strap or anything I’m seeing to look for.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 215073

I've broken 2 WC T5s on Cooper Cobras and still have the stock axles.

It's been to the track 4 times (ever) and never been on slicks.

That is all.
I broke 3 T5WC's in my '85 with the same tires. That car had a total of 11 transmissions in it when I sold it. 4.10 gears, stock axles, and a mild 302 engine with the almighty B cam.