PTVC question

ga94gt

May 17, 2007
Ringgold GA
Ok I just bought a motor that has 0 deck with DSS flat top pistons and I was wondering how you would go about checking the clearance between the piston and the valve.

I know you have to clay it but do you have to bolt the head all the way down and rotate the crank:shrug:

I was wanting to run the Steeda #19 with 1.7's but now I am skeptical about using the 1.7's.

Any help would great.

Thanks Garrett

• Sponsors (?)

From what I understand, many people just sit them on the block with no head gasket and just tighten them down a bit, just enough as to not have it raise off the deck IF there is contact. They don't use the HG because if it has clearance there, it will for sure with the gasket. I have never done this so don't take my words to heart, but I have read this on several occasions.

That's a real mild cam, I can't imagine you having any problems. I ran a #18 on a stock engine with 1.7s a long time ago with no problems. Most aftermarket pistons, especially a DSS piston is going to have at least as good of a valve relief as a stock piston. Just saying, go for the 1.7s.

Kurt

When I bought my DSS shortblock (the same as what you describe) I asked. Of course there is some diff. with HG compressed thickness and head toll. However, they said that generally the pistons "should" be safe with a 2.02 valve up to .625-.650 lift.

You should be fine, if you have any fear though it is not hard to double check and buy some playdoh or something.

So yall dont think there will be a problem eventhough the block has been decked to 0.

IMHO Garrett ... This is not the best line of reasoning :(

It leaves something that could be a serious problem ... left to chance :eek:

And the consideration of doing so would be based upon opinion NOT fact :notnice:

Did you see the method of claying the pistons?

Now ... if you don't wanna find the measurement that way .............

Seems like you could use a dial indicator and check with the heads attached

BUT ... :eek: SINCE YOU SAY THE DECK HAS BEEN CUT :eek:

I'd be all the more concerned :Word:

Some things just need to be confirmed or known to be a fact

The choice AND responsibility ... is in your hands ;)

One way or the other ... I'd check it to know for sure if you need 1.6's :nice:

Grady

When I called DSS about my block they said they 0 deck the shortblocks to the pistons per application and the comments I already posted above were with that 0 deck.

By all means if your worried, be safe and double check you will 100% not have the issue if you check.

Will there be an issue? I highly doubt it even with a large valve head.

FWIW-it is not unheard of to have a factory/stock shortblock that the pistons actually come out of the hole a little.

IMHO Garrett ... This is not the best line of reasoning :(

It leaves something that could be a serious problem ... left to chance :eek:

And the consideration of doing so would be based upon opinion NOT fact :notnice:

Did you see the method of claying the pistons?

Now ... if you don't wanna find the measurement that way .............

Seems like you could use a dial indicator and check with the heads attached

BUT ... :eek: SINCE YOU SAY THE DECK HAS BEEN CUT :eek:

I'd be all the more concerned :Word:

Some things just need to be confirmed or known to be a fact

The choice AND responsibility ... is in your hands ;)

One way or the other ... I'd check it to know for sure if you need 1.6's :nice:

Grady

Believe me I am going to check it for sure:nice: I know this is all opinion I was just wanting to see what people though and if anyone had had done the same thing, thats is all.

I dont think there will be any problems but its better to be safe than sorry:)

When I called DSS about my block they said they 0 deck the shortblocks to the pistons per application and the comments I already posted above were with that 0 deck.

By all means if your worried, be safe and double check you will 100% not have the issue if you check.

Will there be an issue? I highly doubt it even with a large valve head.

FWIW-it is not unheard of to have a factory/stock shortblock that the pistons actually come out of the hole a little.

That makes me fill good, but believe me I WILL double check. I see you are running the TFS stage 1 which basiclly has the same lift as the 19 with 1.7's.

The guy I bought the motor from was goign to run AFR 185 and this cam http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=35-349-8
and it has more duration and lift than the #19.

Thanks for your help and info.:nice:

The issue I ran into with the deck being milled/ 0'd was that it also hosed my needed PR length.

Since my heads (milled a LOT) and block were milled I needed to run a good bit shorter pushrod.

You have to remember the pistons were machined along with the block and the valve reliefs are big as hell on those pistons.

Here are pics of my shortblock.
642232_22_full.jpg

642232_28_full.jpg

I have no idea what year my block is...it is not the factory 94's block.

I run a 6.150 length PR. My heads are milled like 65 (whatever the .000 would be, I am tired) so that has a large part to play in the needing a shorter PR.