Puking Coolant From Overflow

gt500lw

Aug 22, 2005
This is odd. I have a 70 Mustang with a 302. I took the intake off to replace a lifter. Resealed the intake. Drove about a block and smelled antifreeze. Pulled over and antifreeze is pumping out the overflow. About another block later and I start blowing white smoke. Obviously it didn't seal correctly. Fine. Did the gasket again, and this time it started pump,g out the overflow again, no white smoke this time. I'm extremely frustrated. I've built many of these engines. Done many intakes, never an issue. I have a trained professional do the third gasket. SAME result! Puking antifreeze out the overflow. This time it appears I have water, condensation, or maybe antifreeze out the tail pipe. Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

If you screwed up the intake gasket, or had a cracked manifold you could drink water and blow it out the tailpipe, however it would not pump pressure into the cooling system, there is no connection. Sounds more like a head gasket issue or a cracked head. Are you sure this engine was without issue before you did the lifter? How long did it sit? Were you driving this car before you did the lifter?

That’s combustion from the above mentioned places. Once it builds up too much pressure, the radiator cap relives and coolant over flows. To verify you can over fill the radiator until the fluid level is overflowing. Run the car with the cap off. If you have bubbles you have troubles.