Pulled Out Lower Intake - Coolant and pieces of rust on top of heads

SiK91LX

Apr 23, 2003
SF, CA
Two Problems ----

I just got the lower intake off, while pulling the lower intake off little rusted pieces of metal and dirt and coolant slipped right inside on top of the heads or whatever is underneath the lower intake Whats the best way to clean this mess up?

problem 2 - The lower manifold bolt thats right next to the thermostat broke off and half of it is stuck inside the thread.....How can i get this out?

***This is my 1st time removing upper/lower intake -- Motor has 149K Miles **

Thanks Guys

• Sponsors (?)

They area you are referring to is the lifter valley, where the lifters, and pushrods are, and the cam is right in the center if you look through the holes.

Take some paper towels and ttry to get as much coolant and dirt as you can, if you have a Wet/Dry vac it will also work very well, clean the gasket surfaces on the heads and tape them off whilw working so nothing falls into them, if the intake will be off for a long time, I'd tape up the lifter valley also, or atleast put a clean rag there (just don't forget to remove it all before installing the intake).

If there is enough bolt sticking up from the head you could spray it with some penetrating spray (try not to spray it all inside the motor and head) or heat it up and try to twist it out using a pair of vise grips, just go slow. If that doesn't work or the bolt isn't exposed you could try using a eazy-out...make sure then lifter valley and any open part is covered so not metal goes into the motor while doing this.

I also suggest changing the oil when you are done to make sure you got the coolant out.

Good Luck!

Yeah thanks bro, its kinda fun working on these 302's :D Yeah im gonna 1st try to clean it as much as i can.... Then vacuum the area really well then drop little oil and then suck it back out on top of the block -- I heard its normal for dirt and oil to fall down when removing the lower intake i mean you cant just lift the intake out - You have to wiggle it out forcing dirt to fall...

About the bolt - I'll get an easy out kit hopefully it comes off then the Performer intake till go on :D

You guys know the right torque numbers for the bolts for the lower intake manifold? 18-20 pounds?

Thanks

AL STOCK