Pulling an engine.

1973mach1

May 19, 2003
PA
have any of you guys ever pulled an engine out of a mustang? Is it tough? I been thinking about pulling mine, it would make it easier to work on then I could detail the engine bay at the same time and install my headers. Is it a pain to lift it? Is there alot of wires and stuff to reconnect afterwards?maybe

Thanks,
Jim

• Sponsors (?)

67GTA-FB429 said:
Just make sure you label everything and keep small parts in bags in a box so you don't lose anything and you know where it all goes.
What he said :rolleyes:

Also, there is a good book that steps you through what you need to do. It is a good reference to have in your library as well. Check out How to rebuild small-block Ford engines.

I personally hate the transmission part other than that no problem.
Has anyone pulled the engine attached to the tranny? I have to pull both and it seems it would be easier to do it at the same time while they are attached.

Since it's your first engine pull, approach it with a bit of caution and care. Take the time to label things and if possible take lots of pics or a few seconds of video. It really is simple, but some things that may give you a little trouble are things like the heater hoses, be careful not to get too forceful with them, or you may get to replace the heater core. Rusty old exhaust bolts are always good for some skinned knuckles and bad words, and I wouldn't even consider taking the engine and trans out together, especially since there's only six bolts and three nuts holding them together and they are relatively easy to get to. Keep lots of oil absorbing stuff around like rags and kitty litter to immediately clean up spills and be sure to drain as much of the coolant and oil out of the motor before you yank it. Any crisis that you find will most likely be quickly answered by someone in this forum, since we've all been there. Good luck!

Buy "rebuilding a small block ford" book as recommended,take a lot of pics/notes/ drawings. Especially of the electrical hook ups. Label everything and put in zip lock bags. You cannot leave yourself enough tracks.
Get a engine leveler that hooks to your cherry picker.It isnt a hard job but take your time. You'll enjoy it.

Edit: buy a reproduction of the ford manual for your year.Mine cost 40$ and it has everything the ford mechanics used for repair back in the day. Much more info than a chiltons

1973mach1 said:
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Jim

OK - this sounds really stupid but don't get in a hurry. Drain all fliuds!!!! I was so excited to get started my brain stopped working. BTW - no matter what you do, you will have fluid in the torque converter. Get a large flat pan at autozone to contain the fluids.

Its early, but i find it easier to reinstall with the tranny installed on the engine, just wrap towels around the tranny to avoid scratching your new engine compartment. But, there are a lot of guys more experienced in this forum then me - just my vote.