Pulling engine and transmission w/ car flat on ground, do I need to remove starter, &

Hey,
I'm pulling the engine and transmission for the first time w/ an engine hoist w/ the car flat on the ground. I was wondering, do I need to remove the starter? I know I have to unhook any wires from it, but do I need to remove it since the transmission is coming out too? The "engine" is just a shortblock attached to the transmission so it should be easier (I guess) to remove it all w/ those extra 100#s from the heads and few more pounds from the lower intake being off as well.

I guess I just need to remove the exhaust (h-pipe, mufflers, etc), remove the crossmember w/ a jack supporting the transmission (AOD), or can I just loosen the crossmember and pull it that way (forward)?

Is it hard to remove all of the connections from the AOD? I've changed the speedo gear before, so I know how to remove that, but the other stuff (shifter, etc.)? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

No need to remove the starter. The higher you can get the car in the air with jacks, the more "angle" you'll be able to create before the back of the tranny hits the ground. I'd remove the tranny to crossmember bolts and put a jack under the tranny. Then loosen the crossmember bolts from the chassis and remove it. When you start pulling the motor you can lower the jack under the tranny. Can't help you with the shifter connections - never owned an automatic.