pulling the 5.4 3v for gas milage

billfisher

Jul 17, 2005
huntsville, AL
unfirtunately it has to go. 800 dollar a month gasoline bill has me pulling it and putting a bolt-on 93 4v in.

2.73 gears and slow driving.

the 3v is making the most power so far, but after the seasons first dyno and track runs it goes bye-bye. 16 mpg aint cuttin it.

• Sponsors (?)

Can afford a mustang with a 05 motor, but no beater Honda? That's odd. What's the reason behind driving something that gets horrible gas mileage compared to a beater that does not?

If my math is right, at $3 a gallon and average of 16mpg your are driving 4266 miles a month to get an $800 gas bill. I can't imagine that you are going to get a great improvement with a 4.6 4v. If I were driving that many miles I would just get a sub compact for a daily driver.

He is really not being unrealistic here. I drive 180 miles round trip everyday for work. 900 miles a week 3,600 miles a month and gas at 3.45 a gallon for low grade hell yeah it can get it expensive.

So you think the 3 or 4 mpg he might gain is worth replacing the entire engine? If he wants a new engine to play with great, and I have a feeling that it really what its all about, but gas mileage doesn't make a vaild argument to me. If I commuted that far it wouldn't be in my mustang. An old honda would pay for itself.

16mpg sounds good. im gonna get about 12 once the blower goes on. thats terrable but its not my daily car.

to be honest i was looking at a new daily driver car for next year. i wanted something with great looks and nice performance. i looked at m3, g35, g37, 08 altima coupe, maxima. and im looking at the 4 door versions of those that come with it. they dont look as good but it might be more practical.

anyway, most of them only get 16-19 mpg. the altima being the best at 19. the rest were less. the m3 was like 15 so that is out. i might as well pick u pa gto with 15mpg if i wanted that crappy gas mileage.

so it down to the altima or g35. point is 16 for all the modding dont sound too bad.:shrug:

first of all i am not driving a ricer.

2nd... 16mpg is at 60 mph with the cruise on.

i get much worse if i goose it. i do my best to avoid the go peddle. i would say i do a 120mph short run every day with a 140mph run once or twice a week and bury the 150mph speedo once a week.

thats watching the gas gauge drop in real time.

i get much worse if i goose it. i do my best to avoid the go peddle. i would say i do a 120mph short run every day with a 140mph run once or twice a week and bury the 150mph speedo once a week.

where do you do theyse 120-150 mph runs every other day haha

Sounds like the car is just untuned :p I get similar gas mileage and I bbbbeat on my car like nuts yo!

So you think the 3 or 4 mpg he might gain is worth replacing the entire engine? If he wants a new engine to play with great, and I have a feeling that it really what its all about, but gas mileage doesn't make a vaild argument to me. If I commuted that far it wouldn't be in my mustang. An old honda would pay for itself.

Never said anything about replacing the engine. Everyone was acting as if the guys was nuts for driving his stang as a daily driver and putting all those miles on it. The point I was getting across is that those of us who do drive ours daily it is not unusual to see high miles driven monthly and the cost of fuel very high.