Engine Pulling The Motor

• Sponsors (?)

I pulled without because i didnt feel like trying to get the angle of the dangle without mixing up the beat of the meat and its only a few bolts you save for the aggrevation of pulling the trans with the motor

I would say with the tranny is easier, but I had to pull mine without the tranny due to my garage clearance. The only hard part is lining the motor up with the tranny on install. I went to the hardware store and got bolts that were about 1"-1.5" longer than the bellhousing bolts, grinded the heads off and shaped them like a bullet. Put 2 of these on the motor and it will pretty much self align. Helped a ton on install and keeps you from worring about damaging the input shaft.
Cheers!:nice:

i just pulled my 89 by myself with a engine hoist...i work at a transmission shop but i felt it was easier to leave the tranny connected for what its worth..done in my driveway

I would say with the tranny is easier, but I had to pull mine without the tranny due to my garage clearance. The only hard part is lining the motor up with the tranny on install. I went to the hardware store and got bolts that were about 1"-1.5" longer than the bellhousing bolts, grinded the heads off and shaped them like a bullet. Put 2 of these on the motor and it will pretty much self align. Helped a ton on install and keeps you from worring about damaging the input shaft.
Cheers!:nice:

I did it without the trans. I had the motor out in 4 hours.. 3 hours of it I was by myself..I was worried about getting it lined up with the trans when getting it back in. Thanks for the advice on the install of the motor I will definitely try this method. Here is a pic when I pulled out the motor
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346721073.803899.jpg

Here is a pic of where I am now.. Almost ready to put her back in..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346721118.071543.jpg

Reactions: 1 user