Purchase Help!

FordKyle04

Oct 24, 2017
Wichita,KS
Looking at buying a Foxbody at the moment. It's a 1993 notchback with a 2.3 and a 5 speed. It has the 5 lug conversion, front Cobra brakes, and the interior is fully restored. I'm stuck on buying this one or saving up for a 5.0 Fox. Would it be easier buying a 5.0 Fox or swapping the 4 cylinder out for a 5.0? Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd be bored of a 2.3L in a week.

Honestly, if this 2.3L is in great shape, clean and straight and has some good mods like the 5-lug Cobra brakes, I'd consider it if you are looking for a project.

If you just want a 5.0, it may be cheaper to just save up and buy a 5.0. Chasing down all the odd fittings and wiring will drive you nuts. To do a 5.0 swap easily, you really want a parts car of the same year

Last edited:
Thats up to you, there are advantages to owning a 4 cyl, good fuel mileage and cheaper insurance
And a turbo will put you in 5.0 territory with a lighter overall weight and better cornering and it will be a little different than you standard, belly button mustangs.
I'd do the 4 banger/turbo, you already got 5lug/brake upgrade on that one pictured.

That's what I'm probably going to end up doing. Thanks for your help guys I really appreciate it. Here some pics of the Fox.

Attachments

• 93'4cylFox.jpg
    93'4cylFox.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 93'4cylFoxInterior.jpg
    93'4cylFoxInterior.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 100
Paint done the right way gets costly quickly if your not in the painting business with access to a booth, spray guns and materials and skill.

Given your situation I would stick it out for a original 5L car because the swap even at it's easiest scenario is still a huge pita especially if you just want to buy and drive.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m currently doing th body work and paint on my own car. It’s easy to think it won’t take much, but if you want it done right it’s gonna be a ton of work. If you don’t do it professionally, it’s gonna be even more work because of the learning curve. Add a costly drivetrain swap and you’ve spent more time and money that you would of just waiting for the right car. If I could do it again I would of waiting for a nice mostly stock car to start with. Unless it’s something rare or you’ve painted a car before I’d avaoid anything that needs paint... unless you don’t care about running down to Maaco

Reactions: 1 user
I actually saw a video about that volvo head swap. Kinda weird seeing a Foxbody with a turbo 4 cyl but it definitely works!
If a 4 cyl Mustang is your thing then go for it. They can be made to go fast. Either a Volvo head or a Ranger head is an upgrade for this engine. There are a lot of very fast turbo 4banger Mustangs out there with an aftermarket that caters to them. Check out Stinger Pimp forum if you don't believe me.

I’m currently doing th body work and paint on my own car. It’s easy to think it won’t take much, but if you want it done right it’s gonna be a ton of work. If you don’t do it professionally, it’s gonna be even more work because of the learning curve. Add a costly drivetrain swap and you’ve spent more time and money that you would of just waiting for the right car. If I could do it again I would of waiting for a nice mostly stock car to start with. Unless it’s something rare or you’ve painted a car before I’d avaoid anything that needs paint... unless you don’t care about running down to Maaco
Yeah Bill, but yours IS an ‘88 t-top..... just sayin’

The reality is that regardless of whether it's primer or flat paint, it needs paint, I actually feel bad for people who got caught up in a trendy flat black paint job.
Coupled with a drivetrain swap, that car is only good for someone who wants to tear down the whole thing and start from scratch.
Pass on it.

Reactions: 2 users