Exhaust Purge Valve?

Vince89

Jul 9, 2016
Ok so I have a 3.8 2000 with 195000 miles (still love it) and my check engine light is on and my mechanic want to replace part by part untill the check engine light goes off so I can pass emissions first he fixed the purge valve in the front of the car ( that did not work) now he wants to replace the one in the back. And if that doesn't work he wants to replace the charcol air canister... is there a simpler way to narrow this down. Or does he have no idea what's wrong. Is this stuff I can replace myself?

• Sponsors (?)

Find a real automotive technician that actually knows how to diagnose issues. This clown will have you throwing parts (and money) at it forever and you might just get lucky and hit the nail on the head eventually.

If you want to go the DIY route, go to a parts store (any of them), and get the codes read, come back, post what the codes are here in the thread, and we'll go from there.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah man....let us know what the codes are and we'll help you out. This stuff isn't rocket science.

P1143

Find a real automotive technician that actually knows how to diagnose issues. This clown will have you throwing parts (and money) at it forever and you might just get lucky and hit the nail on the head eventually.

P1143
If you want to go the DIY route, go to a parts store (any of them), and get the codes read, come back, post what the codes are here in the thread, and we'll go from there.
Its p1143

P1443 - Evaporative Emission Control System - Vacuum System - Purge Control Solenoid or Purge Control Valve fault.

This one is usually just a rotted vacuum hose.

2011-05-28_215032_purge_sensor2.gif

Here's the diagram of the system (ignore the red arrow and text) it's not exact, certain components won't be under the hood (like the gas tank at the lower left corner, and the charcoal canister beside it).
You need to check all of the rubber and/or plastic hoses/tubes between all of the components first. If they're all good, check all of the wiring to the various electrical components in the system. Also look at each component in the system, any damage to the charcoal canister (the part with the atmospheric vent in the diagram, which will actually be located under the car near the gas tank) and it's most likely your culprit, if not, it could still be the culprit if it's filled with gas.
If you don't find any hoses to repair/replace, any wiring that needs repair, or damage to the charcoal canister, take it to a competent shop that isn't just going to guess at it. You'll need a shop with a smoke machine and a good (not something from a parts store) scan tool to diag further, otherwise you're just throwing money and parts at the problem.

Reactions: 1 user