Pushing Through My Clutch- Transmission Decisions

I've got a "built" T5. My core (case) with Tremec internals cryogenic treated. Stronger than the WC T5, about the same as a T56. $2k with good core.
Crappy website, small Mom & Pop shop with 30+ years racing experience. Previously was a Mustang only shop, now they just do Tremec manual transmissions.
Walt & June, real nice people to deal with.

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a "built" T5. My core (case) with Tremec internals cryogenic treated. Stronger than the WC T5, about the same as a T56. $2k with good core.
Crappy website, small Mom & Pop shop with 30+ years racing experience. Previously was a Mustang only shop, now they just do Tremec manual transmissions.
Walt & June, real nice people to deal with.
I think thats the place I got my replacement trans when I first got my 89, cobra clutch, pro50 shifter, flywheel, tob and the wct5. 50k miles and not even a clutch adjustment.
Think I don't drive it hard enough?

This crap sucks... I can remember discussing this a while ago in my build thread. Should've just bought a decent transmission that could hold the power. I've had some stout mustangs and never had an issue pushing through a clutch. Usually, the tires would spin first. These tires are 11 years old and hard as hell. They will spin in first and second but 3rd, 4th, and definitely 5th just push right through.

I think I'm going to order the tko600 and a McLeod clutch. They tend to be a little easier on the knee than the Center Force. Lord....I bow my head for my bank account. :nonono:

This crap sucks... I can remember discussing this a while ago in my build thread. Should've just bought a decent transmission that could hold the power. I've had some stout mustangs and never had an issue pushing through a clutch. Usually, the tires would spin first. These tires are 11 years old and hard as hell. They will spin in first and second but 3rd, 4th, and definitely 5th just push right through.

I think I'm going to order the tko600 and a McLeod clutch. They tend to be a little easier on the knee than the Center Force. Lord....I bow my head for my bank account. :nonono:

The better you document the swap, the more likely it is that I stay off of your driveway. :pop:

Reactions: 1 user
Centerforce dual friction held up in my car at 580whp for quite sometime behind a tko 600 . I also had used the same pressure plate an a 10 spline disc behind a t5 .

twin discs are not daunting to do butover kill for what you are doing . The centerforce would workperfect I think

Centerforce df held up great in my car with spray juice and T56 trans.. car was ran every monday night in the street races for two years solid without a hiccup. The six gears was a dream having for cruising and daily driving when needed..... but it's heavy, expensive and when something breaks it's a wee bit more costly for parts. I also have a hci car with tremec 3550 that i've been daily driving for years and yes a little notching compared to T5's

I had problems with the original clutch in my ‘86 from the time I bought the car new. I had the Centerforce installed and never had an issue with the force required to operate it. I installed a new one last year as part of the engine re-install, and again, no issue with the force required to operate it.

My Centerforce dual friction came out of the bellhousing like a ghost wizard on it's second pass. Yes, I was launching my car aggressively on slicks at the time. However, I never had that problem with any of my Spec clutches. In my opinion, if you are pushing through a Spec 2, you are going to melt a dual friction. There are lots of quality American made clutches available. I wouldn't sell yourself short, and spend the same money on a clutch that is outsourced.

The other thing is that if you put a better clutch it it, you are going to get the clutch to hold just so you can push through your stock T5. That transmission is not very strong. The T5 has a 10 spline input shaft, and any transmission worth its salt has a 26 spline input shaft. So that means you are going to brake the transmission, and then have to buy another transmission, and another clutch again.

There are a few manual transmission options out there that will handle your power range. I can pontificate on the subject for many replies. However, I always end up at the same advice. Save up your money so you are not wasting someone else's time. Call Bob Hanlon at Hanlon motorsports, and he will find or build you the right transmission for your setup the first time for the best price.

Kurt

For me, it would be a tko600 or a t56 magnum. I have my days where I think about going to the t56, but then reality sets in and i remember it's a $5000 ordeal (at least).
I wouldn't pay any amount of money to upgrade a trans in a t5 case that see's 450rwhp. Maybe 350rwhp, but not at 2 grand.

For me, it would be a tko600 or a t56 magnum. I have my days where I think about going to the t56, but then reality sets in and i remember it's a $5000 ordeal (at least).
I wouldn't pay any amount of money to upgrade a trans in a t5 case that see's 450rwhp. Maybe 350rwhp, but not at 2 grand.

Hanlon tells me he can get a Magnum packaged up for around $4k. It's still a lot of money.

Kurt

Hanlon tells me he can get a Magnum packaged up for around $4k. It's still a lot of money.

Kurt

I dealt with Hanlon years ago. His wife was always pleasant and really good help. I'm glad you brought them up, Kurt. I had almost forgotten about them. I'll give them a shout tomorrow and see what we can cook up. They are amazing folks over there....and they're up in PA...not too far away.

Kurt

I dunno, d&d has a setup for $4800 without clutch or flywheel. Not terribly over 4 grand, but I just don't see how another $800 could be shaved off the price. Then tack on another $800 for a McLeod...

I dunno, d&d has a setup for $4800 without clutch or flywheel. Not terribly over 4 grand, but I just don't see how another $800 could be shaved off the price. Then tack on another $800 for a McLeod...

Hanlon can make it work with a cable clutch. He can also source an electronic box to run the reverse blockout off of your speedometer cable.

Kurt

Last edited:
I dealt with Hanlon years ago. His wife was always pleasant and really good help. I'm glad you brought them up, Kurt. I had almost forgotten about them. I'll give them a shout tomorrow and see what we can cook up. They are amazing folks over there....and they're up in PA...not too far away.

That's the opposite of my experience. It took me years to get on Linda Hanlon's good side. Her job is to weed out the tire kickers, and it shows.

Kurt

That's the opposite of my experience. It took me years to get on Linda Hanlon's good side. Her job is to weed out the tire kickers, and it shows.

Kurt

I guess she knew I wasn't kicking tires right away. The first things I told them was how much I had to spend, what I needed, and she told me where to put my monies. I can only imagine how many people that call actually spend money. I ordered a bunch of parts from them and pointed a few customers their way. I've always put my own transmissions together...sometimes tearing cars apart in the JY to get hard parts. I just don't have the time. Wish I did but I don't anymore.

She is very short in her convo....and straight to the point.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got off the phone with Hanlon. The wife is very nice. Again gave what I was working with...she offered their upgrades and explained why. I excepted. Was a little beyond my expected expense...but all in will be around 4500. That's quick time bell, McLeod clutch, high rpm shift modifications. I haven't purchased yet. Have to get with the wife about the 49. Now she wants a convertible so it may be a sacrifice for Dusty. We got the car running and the guy we got it froms son is really attached to the car...and we kinda stole it at 3k. It just needed a distributor. The guy offered us what we paid plus a couple bucks.

Should we be mean about it ? That's not a real question. He's a guy I work with so the right thing would be to let him get it back.

The new house is great but now we're finding stuff. One of the floor joists below the dining room is cracked about 4ft from an eye in the wood. Its cracked long ways and about 3in up towards the floor. Don't know how the inspector missed that. Smh One of the mirrors in the master bathroom has pushed the basin away and is falling behind it. ( I can fix that ) I want to rip out the jacuzzi anyway. It's a corner unit and we are more of the clawfoot soaker type. The poop room is a plus and an extra door to the his and here double walk in. The shower is small and out dated. Guess a bathroom remodel is coming up.

Money is made to be spent...but must be spent wisely. Mrs. Hanlon said the same thing we all preach here.... " Spend money once, the right way ".