Pushrod help?

soonerfever

Jul 25, 2006
Hey guys I am in really need for some help. I have a 66 289 block with 302 HO (roller cam) heads off an EFI engine, and a Comp 351 hydraulic Thumpr cam. I am using Comp 5/16 screw in studs on the heads with Comp roller tip rocker arms and Comp valve springs recommended for that cam. Now the problem I am having is finding a set of pushrods for the engine. I have searched the internet all over and can't find anything. It seems that 289 pushrods are too short and 302 pushrods are too long. I am really hoping that someone out there has the same setup or might know the information I am needing.

I really appreciate any info you guys might have.

• Sponsors (?)

At least you asked for help! Hopefully you haven't had a chance to break anything. I had a AWFUL learing curve on valve train geometry.
There is also a really, really good write up on S B F tech dot com. (without the spaces..) Search for adjustable roller rockers.

All you need to do is measure for the correct length. You will need a pair of light weight springs, and an adjustable push rod. (PR)
You want to get the narrowest sweep across the top of the valve stem, as close to the center as possible.

These or similar:
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-9000 - Trick Flow® Adjustable Pushrod Length Checkers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
to measure, and then once you have the length, order which ever brand you like. Be sure that the PR's are hardened for guide plates.

Thanks! Yeah I haven't broke anything. The engine is still on the stand. We have just been checking clearances. The vlaves and rockers seem to work fine it was just the pushrods. I will check out the website and see about getting a PR length checker. Thanks again!

To get it right, you have to get the adjustable PRs and the checking springs and install them on one of the valves sets. Go through the motions of either "bluing" the valve tips or, otherwise, marking them in some way to leave a tell-tale wiping trail. As noted, you'll l;ear all about it on the ******* site.
Good luck!

To get it right, you have to get the adjustable PRs and the checking springs and install them on one of the valves sets. Go through the motions of either "bluing" the valve tips or, otherwise, marking them in some way to leave a tell-tale wiping trail. As noted, you'll l;ear all about it on the ******* site.
Good luck!

OOPS!, Are we not supposed to mention those other "******" sites?
I didn't get that memo!
Sorry Admin police.