Pushrod help

stevewarden0

Mar 7, 2020
Ontario
Hi, I have a 66 289 that I am rebuilding, I have put a pair of 85 mustang heads on the block and the pushrods are toooo short.
It is a solid lifter cam and standard followers the pushrods are from the 66.
does anybody have any what pushrods I should use?

Thanks
Steve

• Sponsors (?)

Hold on bud. You can’t just pick a longer pushrod and slap it on. Get yourself a pushrod checker and do it the right way. There is a reason we take the time to get the correct length pushrods for our motors. Do a couple searches on valve train geometry and it’s importance. Then if that’s not enough, do some searches for photos of when your valve train geometry being wrong causes a catastrophic failure. It’s cheaper to do it right the first time around.
But that’s just my two cents.

So what takes into account head gasket thickness, valve tip wear, or wear on the cam lobes? I get that companies always have their “answer” for things, but it’s not that hard to measure first.
still just my two cents.

If you find the cost of the Speed-Pro part prohibitive, another push rod worth looking at is the Sealed Power RP-3167 for the stock 1984 HO 5.0 Mustang.
Its length is 6.8760" if that works out for you.

A pushrod checker is cheap insurance that you will have the right length. You can guess and get excessive valve guide wear from side loading your valves.
You could get coil bind from using the wrong length.
That's why competent engine builders charge what they charge because they do not guess at measurements . It only takes a few minutes and long set of calipers which can be purchased from Harbor Freight . You can get adjustable pushrods from Summit or Jegs. or whoever you buy parts from.
There are some people on here who don't think measuring is important.
DSCF3597.JPG

Oh man, I just re-read your post. I thought you were using a hydraulic flat tappet cam, not a solid lifter. The '85 heads are designed for a hydraulic roller cam, not flat tappet. There is no adjustment built into them. They are intended to be torqued down and the hydraulic lifter adjusts the valve train. There are shims available, but they won't work for your intended application.

mancs.JPG

Last edited: