Put on wheel spacers....*pics*

Scot_94GT said:
Also... if you want to avoid cut up tires when going up steep driveways, do youself a favor and roll the inner lip of the rear fenders. I used a ballpeen hammer. Saounds scary to use a hammer on your bodywork, but you can't see the rough metalwork from the outside of the car, unless you take the wheel off and stick your head in the wheel well.

EXACTLY!

I had to do the same thing & I'm not lowered at all. Took all of 20 minutes, including repainting the areas that I wacked at. Of all the questions I asked before getting the 315's, no one said anything about this. I flipped the quads & went. Then I started noticing chunks of rubber getting ripped out of my tires! Maybe some of you have perfect roads... :shrug: As long as I took it easy, it was all right, but taking a turn too fast could've jacked it up. My buddy had to do it on his '95 as well.....

• Sponsors (?)

Scot_94GT said:
Is it just me, or does the passenger side not stick out as far as the driver's side?
Remember, at Forb quality is job one. That's just the stock fit from what I hear. Can vary from one side to the other. Definitely measure both sides for clearance before you order.

For me, 1 3/8 worked perfectly with my 255/45/17s.

Scot_94GT said:
Is it just me, or does the passenger side not stick out as far as the driver's side?

:rlaugh: ...in that first pic...you'll notice it's titled "without"

there's no spacer on the passenger side at that time

Rob - I'm trying to find out the info you asked for...I've had this part for a long time, just never installed it, along with about a dozen other things sitting around my barracks room. I got it off of ebay for relatively cheap....so they're nothing fancy...from Trailsport. Pre-installed studs, made of billet aluminum, and they're meant for our vehicles

On that note, how do i tell if it's hubcentric? I'm not sure if it is or not cause i don't know what to look for...this is what they look like

View attachment 504843

hope that answers any questions

Those don't look hubcentric from the pic. If they were, there would be a raised ridge around the opening in the center (compare to your hubs - which do have that ridge). So you will be relying on your lugs to keep your wheels aligned properly. Not a huge issue, just keep em torqued properly (and I think you may need tapered lugs ? ).

Take a look at Maximum Motorsport's spacers for an example of hub centric wheel spacers.

^^Those are lug centric. The hubcentric ones have a 'hub' or ring on the inner circumference on the spacer - like a lip.

Andy has posted pics of his MM spacers, which are HC and have the lip.

The thing with lug centrics is that they can create a wheel/tire imbalance (hub centicity means that the spacer is centered perfectly on the hub. LC's are centered via the lugs). But Many guys run lug centrics and report no issues.

Good luck.

No question, hub centric is better, regardless of application. The cheapo spacers are all lug centric.

That said, I have read comments from plenty of guys running lug centric spacers with no problem.

Remember, your spacers will still be aligned to your stock hubs with the benefit of the stock hubs' hub centric format. It's the mate between the spacers and your wheels where you now have a potential weak link. But again, you can get away with that just fine. Torque em properly, and recheck em from time to time.

one other thing, and not trying to steal the thread, but i have heard of people putting on the arp 3" wheelstuds, and knocking the studs out on the spacers to minimize the amount of torqueing needing to be done...is that somehting that is ok to do, or is it better to use them the way they come?

I'm no engineer, but it seems safer the way they are designed. The spacers lock into the hubs, and the wheels lock into the spacers.

It seems that the long wheel studs would cantilever a lot of weight out over those long studs. And all spacers over a certain dimension seem to have the secondary stud design.

But again, I'm no expert, and maybe it's essentially the same thing either way.

actually scot 94gt,

your car is not built crooked, most all mustangs are built crooked. i have seen threads like this pop on other boards all the time. it isnt much but i remmebr something about the axle housing not being centered under the mustang, and that was a production flaw. most people dont seem to notice it until they get fatter wheels/tires, and when it is really brought into perspective with the fender, it starts to show just how far off they are. with stock size rims and tires u dont notice it as much cuz both tires are so far under the wheelwell.

yeah, dont some guys have front pass wheels which sit more rearward than the driver front wheel. I think I have read that a few times.

RC...thanks. I do know that the new lugs were more than sufficient, but I'm very worried about losing a rim and spacer on the highway. I'll be checking these things every time i stop... :damnit:

Here's some pics i took a little while ago when I went to pick up the girlfriend from work...and I finally realized, it's my camera that sucks...not me or the lighting. However, you can see the new stance...Pardon the quality :nonono:

HPIM1912.jpg

HPIM1917.jpg

One more

HPIM1911.jpg

No rear shots, they were all too fuzzy....I need to take some pics in broad daylight

Attachments

• HPIM1912.jpg
    HPIM1912.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 55
  • HPIM1917.jpg
    HPIM1917.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 57
  • HPIM1911.jpg
    HPIM1911.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 63