Putting A 88 5.0 Motor In A 86 4 Cylinder Car.. Computer And Wiring Harness

Wayne86

Dec 14, 2017
Hey guys new here so bare with me.. I have a 86 roller 4 cyl 5 speed car.. I have an 88 donor car 5 speed 5.0 with maf conversion that I will be putting in my 86.. am i going to run into any issues with the 88 wiring harness going on to an 86 car.. and will I need to anything else from the 88 besides engine harness and computer.. wiring isn't my speciality and I thank everyone in advance.. and of course let me know if I'm doing anything wrong here..

Thanks,
Wayne

• Sponsors (?)

I personally have never swapped a four eye car so I can't say for sure but I would put money on your dash/body harness not plugging up to your 88's harness. If that's the case then you'll have to pull the 86's dash and install the 88's dash harness which isn't an exciting job.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally have never swapped a four eye car so I can't say for sure but I would put money on your dash/body harness not plugging up to your 88's harness. If that's the case then you'll have to pull the 86's dash and install the 88's dash harness which isn't an exciting job.

I was afraid of that lol..Ok do you think getting an 86 5.0 wiring harness would save me some grief?.. or is it more of me having a 4 cyl car?

Thank you

You either want to pull all wiring from the 88 and transfer it all to the 86 or get the pin outs of the 86 stuff and start repining because yeah 87-89 is all interchangeable but that doesn't help you with your 86.

I put EFI in my 84, my first engine harness was out of an 86, Then after I decided that wasn't the best route I got a 90 harness off Ebay and cut the connectors and ran the wires to appropriate places to my 84 body Harness it was a definite PITA, so in short.
1986 is its own harness
1987-88/89
89-90 depending on where the car came from California, first car with airbag/mass air tilt blah
91-93
I would say your best bet would be getting an 86 V-8 EFI Harness, and doing the mass air conversion.....The guys at 4eyedpride may be able to help you source a harness

Reactions: 1 user