Puzzling transmission noise

jivepepper

Founding Member
Jun 19, 2002
Under a Sombrero. in WV.
I been getting this wierd chirping chattering noise whem Iam decelerating starting around 3k down to 2.2k that seems to be coming from the bellhousing area. If I give it a slight amount of gas it will quit. The wierd thing is that ocasionally it will do this when accelerating at the same rpm range and quits when i release the gas. Also once in a great while if I rev the engine in neutral it will do it in the same rpm range but not as loud. It's mostly noticable when decelerating. I have had noisey tob's but none sounded like this. My transmission does have 120000 miles on it

• Sponsors (?)

wesl56 said:
clutchpopper, hehe

its tha throwout bearing... if its got 120,000 miles, just do a clutch job and replace the bearing while ur in there

The clutch has less than 10000 miles. It dosen't happen at idle and it dosen't get quiter or louder when slighlly depressing the clutch pedel. happens only at certain rpms mostly when decelerating then if i give it a little gas and it goes away. But the clutch Iam using was already on the back of a 2002 engine assembly that had zero miles on it. It was complete from Tb to the oil pan including all accesories even had a belt, wiring harness and oil in it. The tob has about 15000 miles on it because i put a king cobra clutch kit on the car before the engine went which came with the tob. The cobra clutch would not work on the new engine because of the different cranks and flywheels produced for the two different years.

That's really strange because I'm getting the same type of noise. But I'm only getting it in 5th gear. Mine sounds like rattleing exhaust, but it's not. And it's not only certain RPM's, it's just in 5th gear. I did a test where I took it to about 2500rpm in 4th, then let off the gas.....no noise. I did the same thing in 5th, up to 2500rpm, then let off the gas and I get a bad vibration and a "rubbing" metal noise like the exhaust is rubbing something. But it ONLY happens in 5th. I need help please, as I'm sure clutchpopper does.

I had the same noise right up until the ToB grenaded. What happened on mine was when I replaced the clutch I bent the little spring retainer that holds the fork on the ball stud. It came loose and allowed the fork to ride just on the edge of the ball. The ToB was hitting the fingers of the clutch at an odd angle when the clutch was engaged and also when I disengaged it.

It could also be a bearing or gear inside the transmission.