Pwnnnnnnneeeedddd!!!

So I'm in class and the professor asks if appearance is important in the automotive industry. I, of course say it is. And a smart ass says, I completely disagree with your stupid comment. :mad: So I let him say his piece and the idiot brings up the camaro and trans am arguement. About how production was stopped because new sport cars needed to be introduced like the MAGNUM.:rlaugh:(a girl even laughed) I couldn't believe he had just said that so I reply with a smirk on my face that the whole reason the camaro and trans am died out was because the APPEARANCE of the mustang had been out selling them for years. Even though the camaro and t/a had a lot more power, the mustang still owned it. That Appearance has a lot to do if a car sells or not. That's why they're bringing back the camaro with a retro look like the mustang, to see if can out sell it this time. He just shut up and didn't say a thing the remaining of the class.

• Sponsors (?)

Im not sure how appearance CANT be important. :shrug: But i dont think the firebird/camaro/trans died cause not looking as good as a mustang, i think it was the price. GM's sports cars are top knotch with power/technology etc, but they just cost so damn much. I personally like a trans am ws6 MUCH better over a stock mustang. Now...mod the mustang and you have yourself a close call in my books.

And i dont think they are "copying" mustangs by going retro...thats what the people are wanting...or thats what they think they want. Ford may have did it first but but just like dodge, you gotta roll with the times in order to sell cars.

And i still cant figure out what he meant by the comment about the magnum. Hmmmm.....

nmcgrawj said:
GM's sports cars are top knotch with power/technology etc
Well, you're half right.

The LS1 Transmarobirds were a fantastic driveline (LS1 + T56 = fast), with a cheaply designed body, chassis, so on. . .

A black WS6 with a bit of window tint does look mean. It looks like it's gonna eat all other cars.

illwood said:
Well, you're half right.

The LS1 Transmarobirds were a fantastic driveline (LS1 + T56 = fast), with a cheaply designed body, chassis, so on. . .

A black WS6 with a bit of window tint does look mean. It looks like it's gonna eat all other cars.

WS6= :drool:

I think the ws6 looks like a batmobile, and even when the first modern body camaro (was it 93?) came out they never did a thing for me...

I think its going to be hard to prove that it was solely the price or the looks, maybe it was a bit of both?

Either way the desire for a mustang was greater obviously

illwood said:
Well, you're half right.

The body, chassis isnt up to par with a mustang? I've never been close enough to one to fully inspect it before so i dont know the details of it. What are the weak points?

Another huge reason they are gone too is b/c of the GTO.. they wanted to sell more of this car and you definetly cant do that with the trans am/ camaro in the way. Trans am is MUCH better looking and they have pretty much the same HP, and cost about the same. so they HAD to get rid of it to try and sell the GTO. they just wanted to see how the gto would sell and now that their crappy non retro gto sucks they are bringing back the camaro

nmcgrawj said:
The body, chassis isnt up to par with a mustang? I've never been close enough to one to fully inspect it before so i dont know the details of it. What are the weak points?
Well, the obvious is something like 2-2.5 feet of plastic in front of the radiator core support.

The windshield is so sloped that you can't work on the back of the engine unless it is on jackstands and you go from under. Recall on hinge pillars not being properly spot welded from the factory. Hard starting and driving from coolant getting in distributer (opti-spark). Steering shaft "could loosen and rotate". Problem with clutch slave cylinder not disengaging. Fuel lines "may" have been misrouted at factory. . .

The Consumer Guide gives Mustangs a "5" in value in the class of "sporty/performance car" where Camaros get a "3"

95Vert said:
So I'm in class and the professor asks if appearance is important in the automotive industry. I, of course say it is. And a smart ass says, I completely disagree with your stupid comment. :mad: So I let him say his piece and the idiot brings up the camaro and trans am arguement. About how production was stopped because new sport cars needed to be introduced like the MAGNUM.:rlaugh:(a girl even laughed) I couldn't believe he had just said that so I reply with a smirk on my face that the whole reason the camaro and trans am died out was because the APPEARANCE of the mustang had been out selling them for years. Even though the camaro and t/a had a lot more power, the mustang still owned it. That Appearance has a lot to do if a car sells or not. That's why they're bringing back the camaro with a retro look like the mustang, to see if can out sell it this time. He just shut up and didn't say a thing the remaining of the class.

I had a professor say that the ONLY well built car IN THE WORLD besides Toyota/Lexus is the SATURN.

illwood said:
Well, the obvious is something like 2-2.5 feet of plastic in front of the radiator core support.

The windshield is so sloped that you can't work on the back of the engine unless it is on jackstands and you go from under. Recall on hinge pillars not being properly spot welded from the factory. Hard starting and driving from coolant getting in distributer (opti-spark). Steering shaft "could loosen and rotate". Problem with clutch slave cylinder not disengaging. Fuel lines "may" have been misrouted at factory. . .

The Consumer Guide gives Mustangs a "5" in value in the class of "sporty/performance car" where Camaros get a "3"

I was gonna say "well all cars have problems":rolleyes: But then....as you kept going on...and the problems got worse....and even more ignorant....well...damn.....:nonono:

WS6 body and motor are still teh win despite its many downfalls:rlaugh:

MysteryMachine said:
whos gonna drive an ugly car?

You. Who else?

Haha. J/K bro.

I once thought about buying a black '02 WS6 that was being sold for cheap. (Just to run the **** out of it a few times ..... then sell it for more $$) My conscious wouldn't let me do it, though. :(

MysteryMachine said:
whos gonna drive an ugly car?
See Hummer, Honda Element, Honda Civic hatchback (late 80's early 90's), Pontiac Aztek, Toyota Prius, Scion, BMW 5 series (especially the tack on trunk), Saab. Plenty of people bought these ugly cars.

illwood said:
. . . something like 2-2.5 feet of plastic in front of the radiator core support.
+1. And the 2+ feet from the back wheel well to the end of the rear bumper. Sporty cars should not look like boats.

BTW, I don't think GM killed the F bodies so Daimler-Chryler could bring out the Magnum (how is does that follow?!?), nor to protect the GTO (which debued in 2004, while the F bodies died in 2002). They killed it because no one was buying it. All F body sales combined plumeted to a sliver of Mustang sales. I think the reasons that they sold so few were mainly the cost and too much emphasis on the hard core buyer, not the sorority girl or nostolgic 45+ year old type buyers (both of whom often just want the look with a civil V6).