PypesOR H-Pipe

281Ponies

Nov 14, 2003
Hey Gang, it's been a while since I last posted... but have a question.

Last night I put the Pypes OR -H pipe on in combination with the A/T Flowmasters that have been on for a few months now.

After the install and driving I must say what a huge difference the ORH pipe made but I'm curious about one thing. At 2500rpm in every gear this thing gets extremely LOUD I mean it's louder than the stock H anyway but at 2500rpms it's very loud. I find myself pushing the rpms thru 2500 as quickly as I can.

Has anyone else with this setup experienced this...?

I'm running the stock gear 3:55s and have not yet started modding the engine it's still factory everything. I'm thinking a gear swap would put the exhaust tone into a different range but wanted to ask those who are running this setup with the factory gears are you hearing the same thing I am at 2500rpms.

Sorry for the long post... and thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

281 ponies,
I also just installed a pypes O/R h-pipe and am experiencing the exact same thing. I mean exact same thing. I love the overall sound but at 2500 it gets honkin' loud and sounds different, kind of raspy. I thought maybe I had something loose under the car but not the case. I know there are alot of other SN members that have the same mods. It would be great to hear if anyone else has the same sound and what they think of it.

Ive got the same noise as well. I thought it was just because i was running the stock mufflers and headers though. I plan on changing them both out but that wont be till next winter when i have the funds

it is normal. if you adjust your driving habits, you can get around the sound. either go easier or harder on the gas up to that point and it will not be noticable.

ya i just took my car out for a hell bag and the sound is there....but i kinda like it now i got used to it and everyone looks at me now giving me thumbs up so makes me smile:D

This sound is what most people refer to as "trumpeting". It happens from removing your cats when you go to any offroad midpipe. The only mufflers that get rid of 99% of it are Corsas. Otherwise, you'll have to live with it, or have some 12" to 18" resonators installed after the H, on the overaxle pipes.

I won't list all of the exhaust systems that I've been thru, but its been the same with any combo I've tried. Currently I'm running stock manifolds, Pypes o/r H, and Borla catback with 18" Dynamax resonators.

You should hear that set up with SLP LM's.....

I took the H pipe off until I could find a suitable set of a/b's because of how loud they get. it soulds great when the car is rolling, but there's that point where it drowns out everything, and just attracts too much attention.

So for now, my O/R H is sitting in the garage....

I’m glad to hear this is a normal characteristic of the pipe. I’ve done just what bigcat suggested... change my driving habits and it is better.

It was a shock at first not what I was expecting. Guess I had gotten used to the 16v with ProChamber and 2-Chamber flows.

I’m feeling better about it now... thanks all.

What are resonators and how do they go on? Will it still sound the same while eliminating the trumpeting?

Resonators are just straight thru pipes with some baffleling inside to help alter the exhaust flow. Basically, they do add some restriction but very little, much less than cats. However, they will change the flow just enough to eliminate the trumpeting caused by removing the cats all together. Compared to just the offroad pipe and mufflers themselves, adding the resonators will eliminate the additional resonance, remove some of the harshness, make it smoother sounding. You will lose just a touch of volume, but not much.

Vid:
View attachment 388739

Sounds great. Are resonators a bolt on item. I would imagine you have to cut out a section of pipe. And where to you get them.
Also how do you get the video clips and pictures added on? It's really neat to be able to see what different guys are up to across the country with their Mustangs.

Sounds great. Are resonators a bolt on item. I would imagine you have to cut out a section of pipe. And where to you get them.
Also how do you get the video clips and pictures added on? It's really neat to be able to see what different guys are up to across the country with their Mustangs.

go to www.photobucket.com and register. upload your pics/vids and then use the provided links to post them here.

Due to broken baffles in one of my Fows, I resorted to putting the stock mufflers back on with my Pypes O/R H until the replacement comes in. The sound is growing on me I must say. Wish I woud have known to go that route first and put that money to another mod. O/R H and stock mufflers sound fairly deep and aggressive with absolutely no drone or trumpeting. I do however love the Flomaster sound better and will swap them back when it arrives and love my Flowmaster noise once again!!!!! There wasn't a time when I regretted the Flows O/R H pipe combo.

Sorry I'm a little late to the party, but Tom281, I've had the exact same setup as you for around 5 months or so and love it. The resonators were exactly what was needed, no trumpets or drone at all now. I never really knew what trumpets were until I put the O/R H on but when I heard it, I was like oh, that's what they were all talking about! I laughed my butt off when I heard someones' description of trumpets...

"imagine a big ole bull elephant crossing a river, now imagine an alligator jumping up and biting that elephant in the nutts, that's trumpets." :rlaugh:

I actually was thinking of changing over to the flows to see what they sound like with the resonators installed, but decided against it.

Just so everyone else can see, here's what the resonators look like installed. The first pick was taken right in front of the drivers side rear tire, the second is obviously from the rear of the car...

103646.jpg

103647.jpg