PypesOR H-Pipe

• Sponsors (?)

Ok gang I have decided that my combo was to loud. The OR/H pipe and custom axle backs were to loud. While the rumble was great I found myself changing my driving habits to keep the noise level down!

So back on went the factory axle backs and I must say it's a sound very close to what I had with the factory H pipe.

Factory H pipe with straight axle backs= OR/H pipe with factory axle backs.
Kinda makes sense because in each scenario either the mufflers or the CATS were inline.

I'm happier now. But do have a nice set of custom axle backs to unload! Shameless plug here!:)

http://classifieds.stangnet.com/showproduct.php?product=43576&cat=7&date=1151245823

Rad

I'm wondering what this combo would sound like using Borla Stingers.

I just recently got a set and I used to run the same O/R H with SLP LMs and it was just too loud.

I swapped the stock pipe back on and mounted the stingers, which are quieter than the loudmouths and deeper. I'm hoping they're going to be quiet enough to use that O/R pipe again.

I'm wondering what this combo would sound like using Borla Stingers.

I just recently got a set and I used to run the same O/R H with SLP LMs and it was just too loud.

I swapped the stock pipe back on and mounted the stingers, which are quieter than the loudmouths and deeper. I'm hoping they're going to be quiet enough to use that O/R pipe again.

Give it a shot and see what you think, but it was too loud for me, that's why I added the resonators.

I just installed the O/R h this weekend. I have the FRPP GTA axel back, so I wasn't expecting a ton on sound increase...boy was I wrong. It is loud as hell now, almost too loud.

Sounds great when I go easy on the accelerator or WOT, but anywhere in between it sounds like S**t. I am not sure if I have a leak behind the header or not. Next weekend's project; fix it or get it the hell off my car.

Needless to say, it might be coming right back off my car and posted in the classifieds...maybe louder mufflers is the way to go for me. :shrug:

Make sure the metal hanger rods on the o/r pipe that go through the factor rubber hanger bracket aren't too short. On mine they had to be all the way up AGAINST the bracket frame that holds the rubber in order to be tightened to the exhaust manifold. It resulted in loud resonating inside the car. It took awhile for me to figure it out. I took the o/r pipes off and bent the hanger rods back a little. Then when I re-installed them they no longer went up against the metal portion of the hanger bracket. It made a big difference. It's still loud at around 2400-2500 rpms but not nearly as offensive.

I love mine and will purposely drive an hour with no music at all just to listen to it:nice: Esp now since it is nicer outside, I'll have the windows down which makes it that much louder:D

Thanks for the advice Chubhunter. I also have a rattle right under the shifter that I need to figure out. Sounds like it needs to be moved around a bit. I wish I could keep the sound lower without the pop; it sounds too much like the early 90's GM quad 4 and small v-6's. At least inside the car it does.

I know resonators would work, but I have no clue how to weld, nor do I have the tools to do it and not sure if a local muffler shop would want to tackle it considering the car is illegal without the cats.

Since it is my daily driver, the o/r h will most likely be coming off. I am interested in louder mufflers, say stingers or hooker, if anybody wants to trade...

Thanks for the advice Chubhunter. I also have a rattle right under the shifter that I need to figure out. Sounds like it needs to be moved around a bit. I wish I could keep the sound lower without the pop; it sounds too much like the early 90's GM quad 4 and small v-6's. At least inside the car it does.

I know resonators would work, but I have no clue how to weld, nor do I have the tools to do it and not sure if a local muffler shop would want to tackle it considering the car is illegal without the cats.

Since it is my daily driver, the o/r h will most likely be coming off. I am interested in louder mufflers, say stingers or hooker, if anybody wants to trade...

If you check on Summit Racings web site you can get resonators and the same slip over clamps that are used from the factory on the original h-pipe. All you would have to do is put the resonators right after the o/r h-pipe with the original clamps. Then cut the pipes leading to the mufflers and use the new clamps there. No welding needed. I don't think it would cost much either. Just something to consider.

I had the same problem that chubhunter described, except I fixed it differently. Rather than bend the hangers back, I notched out the bracket that holds the rubber grommet. If you feel like your car is going to vibrate into a million pieces around 2200 rpm after installing the off road pipe then I would bet that you have the same situation that we had.