Q about my first Drag Race Event

shallowreef

Nov 3, 2005
illinois
Hey everybody,

This Saturday i will be attending my first Drag race event ever. Its not like your average drag race with locals this is an actual event with top fuel and funny cars. Anyways My uncles neighbor is a racer and he is going to be racing that day and he got us all passes to get down in the pit with him and his crew. The way it has been described to me is that we are about 20 ft away from the cars and that you can feel the pistons firing in your chest so it seems rather close. Now i value my hearing and would like to protect it. Is there any special type of hearing protection that you guys could recommend? I was just going to get regular ear plugs but i don't know if they are heavy duty enough. What do you guys suggest?

I am bringing my camera so i will deffinately take a lot of pictures and vids and i will try and post them all on Monday.

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe some heavy duty earplugs and some type of headphones like crew memebers wear. Regular drag nights are loud, im sure top fuel would be incredible. Thats pretty cool about being able to feel the pistons firing in your chest.

Yea I went to a drag race for my vo-tech trip last year. We didn't get to stay for the top fuel, but we were on the bus on the way home and got about a mile from the track and heard em like they were right beside us. It was pretty crazy. They gave us foam ear plugs when we went in. And I know with those top fuel they wouldn't have been enough. Ha, you value your hearing and you have a full SLP setup. haha

You will need dual protection, plugs and muffs for sure. Have fun. We just had the Promods come up here and they were loud enough, shakes your chest when they do burnouts. Top Fuelies will be crazy loud.

i work around ch-46s and ch-53s all day and if your on the flight line and you get too close to one of them without protection kiss your hearing good bye double up on your protection. if only you had time i would tell you to get the oregon aero hush kit, to put in your earmuffs thats what our pilots and crew chiefs prefer. Have a blast and take good pictures.

XXMustangRayXX said:
Ha, you value your hearing and you have a full SLP setup. haha

Believe it or not i don't think its all that loud.

Anyways,

I plan on taking a ton of pictures this weekend. I talked to my Uncle last night and he said the same thing about your eyes tearing up from the fuel being gurned off. I can't wait. Right now i am just getting the foam inserts and i am bringing the earmuff ones along just in case. Time trials start at 10:30 and proffesional racing is from 12-4 then there is a care show afterwards but its mostly going to be Chevys due to the event.

I'm so stoked. Free food Free Beer and endless cars to drool over. I know that once this is over i am going to feel the need to mod my car some more. Too bad i can't afford it. (Just put in a 210 reef tank:( )

I will post all the pics and vids when i get back. Most likely though on Monday.

Thanks again everybody!!!

Nick

Your Uncle's neighbor didn't do anything special to get you those "Pit Passes". EVERYONE who attends ANY NHRA drag race is allowed into the pits as long as they have a general admission ticket for the day’s events. That's one of the coolest things about professional drag racing compared to all the other motor sports. The cars/crews/drivers are VERY accessible.

You are going to LOVE IT GUARANTEED! Cruise around the pits until you hear a Top Fueler or Funny Car crank up and then haul ass over to that pit and get as close as you can. It's a once-in-a-lifetime feeling.... Just like someone is beating your chest with a sledgehammer everytime a cylinder fires!

U.M.

And if you can stand at the fence about 15-20 ft down from the starting line when the "big boys" go down the track you will be HOOKED!!! you cant even see the cars go by because they are shaking so bad your vision is blurred and you cant breathe because it feels like you got gut punched and those examples dont even do it justice. I go to the gatornationals every year I can and that is my favorite to do and I always start the day right by smelling the Nitromethane from a funny car starting in the pits...mmmmm...cleans you right out. lol

Uncle Meat said:
Your Uncle's neighbor didn't do anything special to get you those "Pit Passes". EVERYONE who attends ANY NHRA drag race is allowed into the pits as long as they have a general admission ticket for the day’s events. That's one of the coolest things about professional drag racing compared to all the other motor sports. The cars/crews/drivers are VERY accessible.

You are going to LOVE IT GUARANTEED! Cruise around the pits until you hear a Top Fueler or Funny Car crank up and then haul ass over to that pit and get as close as you can. It's a once-in-a-lifetime feeling.... Just like someone is beating your chest with a sledgehammer everytime a cylinder fires!

U.M.

Once i got there i realized tou were correct about the pit thing U.M. but i did get to do one thing that most people did not. I got to get into the inside barrier of the track and was about 5ft away from the car. Unfortunately it was only for my neighbors car and i t was only once but it was loud and it was awesome! I have pics and videos but i don't know if you guys are gonna want to see them. The reason i say this is that the day i went to the track it was a "Super Chevy Event". So everything that raced had to have a chevy engine it. So it was mostly old camaros, Novas. Unfortunately there were no funny cars or top fuels at the race. :( But needless to say i am hooked and i'm going back on the 23rd of Sept. for the match mania race where there will be funny cars and top fuel.

There were some very cool cars there though. I saw rocket cars do 290 miles an hour a van pop a wheelie all the way down the 1/4 mile and a harley do a 1/4 mile in 7sec! So even though i didn't get to see exactly what i wanted i am totally hooked. I checked a ton of vendors but the one i enjoyed the most was a guy who did chrome work. He had an entire engine all chromed out and somebody bought it to. There was no price tag on it just a sold sign. I heard somebody say that it was 33k!

I will post some pics and links to some vids i took later this afternoon. I will put them in a new thread.

Nick

Well i'm hoping that on the 23rd i will see some awesome cars. I would love to feel tah pounding in my chest. My uncle tells me that its almost scary when teh top fuel cars go by because it feels like you can't breathe. I love not being able to breath!!

I was just at the NHRA Autolite Nationals at Infineon, my first NHRA event. Totally worth the expierence, no earplugs here...wanted to suck up all that sound!! The part I found interesting is that you can smell the top fuel dragsters after they go by, not to mention the tire smoke that looks like fog! :D :nice: