Q: Which mods adversely affect MPG?

baseman

Nov 26, 2003
Providence, RI
I'm no mechanic, but am getting extremely interested in modding my '95 GT, almost being reborn from when I owned my first new car ever at 19yo... an '86 GT. Some mods I know are easy (i.e.- homemade CAI), but other stuff I definately wouldn't attempt myself.

Not being an expert on how engine, exhaust, and other systems work together, I was wondering which mods would definately have an adverse affect on MPG. I guess the question really is, to which degree does each mod have on MPG. The mods I'm planning initially are probably 4.10 gears, exhaust, headers, and intake.

Regards.

• Sponsors (?)

baseman said:
I'm no mechanic, but am getting extremely interested in modding my '95 GT, almost being reborn from when I owned my first new car ever at 19yo... an '86 GT. Some mods I know are easy (i.e.- homemade CAI), but other stuff I definately wouldn't attempt myself.

Not being an expert on how engine, exhaust, and other systems work together, I was wondering which mods would definately have an adverse affect on MPG. I guess the question really is, to which degree does each mod have on MPG. The mods I'm planning initially are probably 4.10 gears, exhaust, headers, and intake.

Regards.

4.10's will take 3-5 mpg all around. The ONLY thing I have done to my car that DIDN'T take mpg was h-pipe and pulleys. Bottom line is: HP uses gas. There are a few mods that can actually INCREASE gas mileage (exhaust, pulleys, K&N), but for the most part, if mpg's are important, keep mods to a minimum.

some gears will help you out as long as you arent cruising with the rpm's super high. I am almost certain I would gain a few mpg if I went with 3.55 or 3.73 because they allow the motor to move the car easier than the stock 3.73

anything that frees up hp restriction should theoretically ad power

full exhaust intake and Pullies.... plus any weight reduction helps too.

I got 22-3 mpg on my last tank with all the mods in the sig and 600 pounds of people in the car.