Qn on 99 cobra transmission

Ahbeng

Aug 27, 2004
St Louis, MO
have encountered difficulty getting the gears into reverse. the stick just refuses to go down. happens intermittently and most often on cold starts. anyone having similar difficulty? is this normal or does something need to be replaced?

• Sponsors (?)

I have that problem every once in a while on my '98. It is wierdness with the T-45 and pretty common. I do not think that there is anything abnormal about your tranny. When it is fighting with you, try putting it in first and giving it a little gas. Just enough to creep the car an inch or two. Then put it in reverse. Always works for me. I do not even fight reverse anymore. If it is being stubborn, I do the creep and all is good. :)

-J-

Yes its normal. T45's have no syncromesh gears on reverse. You'll need to synch it with another gear first. I usually engage 1st for a half second, just enough to inch forward, then toss it in reverse and I'm good to go.

I know if you use synthetic trans fluid your problems will probably go away, but I would use what they recommend for it, dexron/mercon III. Just use that and you should have good results, helped me out with reverse alot.