Q's about granada/GM brake swap

seanm

Nov 1, 2003
ohio
Have put the granada rotors and GM small calipers on and there is alot of free travel between the pads and rotor. About a 1/4" as a guess. Do they need to be shimmed or something? What is used for shims if they do? :shrug:

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

There should be some distance between them when you first put them on. Otherwise you'd have a hard time getting them on there. As you use the brakes, the pistons will come out close to the rotors. In my experiences, a quarter inch is acceptable w/ new pads especially if the pistons are fully compressed into the calipers.

d

Generally those of us with the Granada front rotors were looking for more braking area on the front wheels. A larger caliper only achieves better stops when larger calipers and pads are used to match the size of the Granada rotors.

I did my 4 wheel conversion increase my braking abilities and at the same time open up my wheel selection to the standard 5 lug versions.

Dave

cobra_2_76 said:
Generally those of us with the Granada front rotors were looking for more braking area on the front wheels. A larger caliper only achieves better stops when larger calipers and pads are used to match the size of the Granada rotors.

Don't forget that just increasing rotor diameter also increases the lever arm for braking. A change from 9" to 11" rotors represents a 20% increase in the lever arm. This would be an improvement even if the same size calipers were used.

welder4956 said:
Don't forget that just increasing rotor diameter also increases the lever arm for braking. A change from 9" to 11" rotors represents a 20% increase in the lever arm. This would be an improvement even if the same size calipers were used.

Also, the larger rotors will disipate heat quicker, which will not only provide more braking power, but will help prevent rotor warping.